Gun Season

SHKYBoonie

RE: Gun Season

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:20 am

In West Ky we had hot weather the whole gun season. The rut was a disappointment at best. Although we did get to take a few really good bucks in camp, the deer sightings were very low. Everyone I have talked to that hunts Christian Co. were complaining about not seeing deer on stand. I think the rut peaked right before the gun season opened, as it has for several years now in our area. The bucks that were taken were just shadowing a doe, waiting for her to breed. All in all, it was a good season though. Out of the 9 people we have in camp 5 bucks were taken. The smallest being a good 120" class 8 point and the largest being a 150" class 10 point. I got the 10 point, so I'm not going to complain much. Here's a pick of my best KY buck to date.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:28 am

Sorry, guess I messed up the whole page with that poster size pic! I'll try this again.

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 am

Congrats SHKYBoonie on a great deer, I'm glad to see someone else had success this year. We had alot of deer movement on opening day, but it defiantly slowed down after that. It looks like the gun season #'s were close to last year #'s, but the doe count is way down, and alot more button bucks this year. I don't know where all the deer were killed, but it sure seemed down via everyone on the forum (or atleast no one posting much) and the guys here at work. Congrats again to you and your hunting party.

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I bow hunt Anderson and Owsley counties.Four does  ,zero bucks this season .I saw seven different bucks the week before rifle season .No opportunity at a shooter. Since the rut kicked in  ,I have only seen one buck ....
My son shot a 120+ 8 point back in the mountains during rifle season. I gotta beat that . Less than a month to get it done, but this old man will be out there till the end .  Happy Hunting

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 am

Welcome to the forum Cowboy. Congrats on the does and good luck on bettering your son. Post a pic of your sons buck, would love to see it. I just finished my skull plate mount from my buck from this year. Thought I would post a pic of it. Also I wanted to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

Previous

Return to Kentucky