Any luck first day of black powder season?

kykevin

Any luck first day of black powder season?

Postby kykevin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Anyone do any good today? I went out this afternoon with my bow and saw 9 does and a decent 2.5 year old buck in my little patch of shot plot. My brother killed a doe with his muzzleloader.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

shaman

RE: Any luck first day of black powder season?

Postby shaman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Luck?  Lots.  Anything to show for it?  No.

This was one of the most productive days we've had.  I saw 6 in the morning and then 6 in the afternoon-- all doe or button bucks.  I also had 14 turkey close by at one point.

I spent both the morning and the afternoon counting coup on the doe-- had some terrific shots that I didn't take-- one inside 5 yards on the ground.  I frankly don't want to burn a tag this early in the season, unless it's something spectacular.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 am

No luck on Saturday. Only saw 1 deer, and it got by me before I could even tell what it was for sure. It helps to be looking in the right direction when the deer go thru and the woods are so thick you can't see more than 25 yards. I did connect on another nice doe Sunday evening. I can now hunt for horns with 2 in the freezer.

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:05 am

Saw plenty of deer this weekend. All does, fawns, and yearling bucks. Even the yearlings were acting like they cared less about the does. Maybe some chasing will start in another week or so.

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 am

Saw plenty of deer,passed on several bucks and does.
A friend shot a nice 12-point buck with double-split brow tines.

I'll try to get it posted.

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 am

rweyman-
Did you hear about the young man in Independence,that shot a 201" buck with his bow?

It's a friend of a friend,and it's a hoss!
It missed the State Record by 3 1/2-inches,of course it still has some drying time!

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 am

I'm not sure, was that the one that was shot in Lewis Co. that was not found for a week or two? Did you see the picture of the buck that Marc Anthony took from Owen Co. in Sept.? Real nice deer, green score I think was 182" How you been? I've been busy this year, and haven't been able to post much this summer.

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:18 am

Chris White shot it in Independence, on a farm, during bow season. I took a picture of the picture because his dad wanted it back. I hope you can see it in the post!

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 am

It's tough to see, but what you can sure looks like a great deer. I think even you might have pulled the trigger on that one. Maybe we should spend a little more time in our back yards, huh! Tell him Congrats. Good Luck on your hunt this weekend, keep us posted.

Return to Kentucky