Looking for a good Scope for my slug gun

FFKEVIN

Looking for a good Scope for my slug gun

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:38 pm

[font=tahoma]Hey everyone,[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I have some gift cards to Cabela's that I got for Christmas and I am looking to get a good Red Dot Scope for my Remington 870.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Any suggestions???[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

coach

RE: Looking for a good Red Dot Scope for my slug gun

Postby coach » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Hey FFKEVIN
How goes....
Just to let you know....I shot 2 deer with my brothers Red Dot on a shot gun. I told him to change it for a regular scope instead.  [:D][:D]

The first deer...battery died on me.
Second...deer was about 80-100 yards....I didnt' feel comfortable with the shot...but I took it anyways.  (Lack of discipline)  But I got it anyways with 1 shot.

I find....the one I had ....wasn't ....how can I say.....  I guess I just didn't like it.
It seems you move alot when looking in it.

Maybe because I've been using the scope on my 30-06 for 20 years.....maybe I had a hard time adjusting.

I don't know....

I'm getting a 870 this year....and I'm putting a scope.   Try it out....you may fall in love with it.
Good luck.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 am

Deer Hunting especially a rifled barrel, no question go with a quality scope(30 years experience deer hunting with a shotgun).

Turkey/bird/clay targets Burris makes a new red dot which I believe they call the Speed dot with attaches between your stock and rear of the receiver.  I have used one briefly and will own one shortly.

Good luck.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:21 am

[font=tahoma]OK, now you guys have me leaning towards a regular scope instead of a red dot.  Do you guys have any suggestions for a nice regular scope for my slug gun???[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Nikon slughunter, it has the bdc reticle on it so it is calibrated out to 200 yards. It is a nice scope for around 250 bucks. Another is the Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 it is made for shotguns and it is very clear and bright. It is around 130 bucks. They are both highly recommended nikon has a lifetime warranty.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Both of my 'in use' slug guns have Leupolds on them.  I like the heavy duplex version for shot gun work.  I have a Burris on my Benelli which is also a nice scope.  I just sold my base model muzzleloader with a Nikon Prostaff on it which was probably the clearest scope I owned.  When I replace it there will be a Nikon BDC muzzleloader scope mounted on top.  As NYSupersportman states Nikon also makes a slug gun BDC.  I think a quality scope in a 2X7 power will do you right.  I know you have a Cabelas gift card but my suggestion is to go to s sporting outlet and look through several before making your purchase.  Also, FYI a red dot covers approximately 5" of target at 100 yards making accuracy an issue.  Good luck and see my prior posts for accuracy tips when sighting in.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:05 pm

[font=tahoma]Thanks for all the tips guys.  I'll be taking a road trip to Cabela's real soon![/font]

wack

Postby wack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 am

Mine has a Bushnel Elite 3-9X40 with fire fly reticle. I'll never hunt with a battery powered scope again.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:47 am

i would do the slughunter.  never fails that you will leave the scope on overnight, drain the battery and be cursing in the stand.

sprcub

Postby sprcub » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:11 pm

just remember when your hunting with a scope  ---this may not be so important from your stand because you may have standing shots or long range shots  but turn the power down  if you are on your feet and likely to  get a running shot  Im so mad at myself for the monster  I didnt shoot last year because I had my 1.5x5   leupold on 5 power  he was in close and running and i couldnt get him in the scope

Next

Return to Slug Guns