Best slug guns

OldPhart

12 Ga. H&R UltraSlug Gun for sure

Postby OldPhart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:08 am

I currently own a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and rifle sights, a Savage model 210F, and a 12 Ga. H&R UltraSlug. At 100 yds, I am lucky to get an 10" 3-shot group from a sandbagged benchrest with the Mossberg 500, The Savage 201F will shoot a pretty consistent 6" group, and the H&R UltraSlug will almost always shoot a cloverleaf. Which do you think I hunt with?

My family owns a farm in Maryland and I hunt from a treestand along the edge of one of our fields. Six bucks in 6 years . . . all one shot kills. My farthest shot was 69 paces from the base of the tree my treestand is in.

I must say that I was warned that I should try as many sabot slugs as I could before settling on any one slug. I did and spent a small fortune doing it. My UltraSlug seems to prefer the 3" Federal Barnes Expander (non-tipped variety). Boy does that slug put deer down and I mean right now!

I am currently using a Nikon SlugHunter 3x9 scope with the BDC reticule. and am saving to buy a good rangefinder.

standman

Re: Best slug guns

Postby standman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 am

Let me begin by saying that this will be the first year I ever hunted deer. Last christmas my wife bought me a 12 ga. H&R Ultraslug Hunter and a scope to go with it. Her father and brother are avid deer hunters and she thought it would be nice if I took part in their family hunting activity. My brother-in-law has helped me a great deal in sighting my Ultraslug in, finding which sabot slug it shoots best, rigging a stand on their farm, and answering about a million questions I had. I will accompany them on my first hunt in a few weeks but I have started trying to gather more information so I don't appear as dumb as I actually am. That was how I ran across this website.

While I have no practical experience regarding how the H&R Ultraslug does on deer, I can say that I can cover every five-shot group I shoot at 100 yds easily with a tightly-closed fist. I feel confident that if I get a shot at a deer, it will end-up in our freezer. My ultraslug is sighted-in to hit 2 1/2 inches high but dead-center at 50 yds. and at 50 yds, it shoots a single jagged hole every five-shot group I try. My brother-in-law considers this to be an exceptional shooting gun.

I could possibly get shots out to about 150 yds from my treestand so we traveled to a nearby range to see how my gun would do at 150 yds. I shot two five-shot groups at that distance from a sand-bagged benchrest. Both groups measured 3 to 3 1/2 inches center to center. The sabot slugs my gun likes best are the untipped Federal Barnes Expanders but it will also shoot the Remington Copper Solids just about as well.

I've learned quite a bit from this website and thought I might give some feedback as to my actual experience. I don't know if what I had to say will be helpful to anyone or not but maybe there is someone like me who is just starting out who is trying to decide on a good starter slug gun to get.

Good luck to everyone this season!

kellory

Re: Best slug guns

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:46 am

I also use a sabot gun, and from your discription, you will do well with that nail driver. You will shooting at a target about the size of a perfessional football. The trick is seeing that football location inside a moving 3D target. So always remember where that spot is and you will do fine. Welcome to the forum, You are in a good place. There are prohunters, and life long oldtimers on here, newbees, and techies, riflemen, and shotgunners, stand hunters, ground hunters, and stalkers( here that is a good thing!) I can't speak for anyone but myself, but ask any question, and someone will try to hepl you. Good luck on your first hunt, be warned though, this is an addiction from which you will never recover! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Slug Guns