Scope VS. Red Dot

Grant

Scope VS. Red Dot

Postby Grant » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 am

Any ideas/opinions on a scope versus a red dot on a Remington 870 with a  rifled barrel.  Shots with it should be no longer than 100 yards..

Thanks in advance,

Grant

CB on the run

RE: Scope VS. Red Dot

Postby CB on the run » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 am

At 100 yards an average red dot will cover 5 inches of area on the target. The crosshairs on a scope will cover maybe 1/2". Obviously then the scope has far greater potential for accuracy. The red dot will be quicker to target for most shooters.
I have tried red dots on slug guns and 1 muzzleloader and have been displeased with the results, however, my turkey guns wear them.

CB

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:13 am

I was ready to go red dot this year on a muzzelloader, but decided against it for one reason. Batteries. With my luck they have a tendency to run out when you need them. Scopes are not battery powered or electronic and you eliminate one more thing that can and will fail at one point or another.

Just my two cents.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:48 am

[font="Tahoma"]Check out this link. It might help - Looking for a good Scope for my slug gun[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Return to Slug Guns