Postby OHhunter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Anyone shot the Savage 210 slug warrior.  Looks pretty sweet how's shoot

http://www.savagearms.com/210f.htm

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

UncleNorby

RE: Savage 210 slug warrior

Postby UncleNorby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 am

They have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 am

I owned one.  It shot lightfield slugs well.  I didn't(don't) like the 3 position wing safety or how it loaded the 2 shot mag(down through bolt opening).  It was well built.  I replaced it with a Browning ABolt which is a tack driver.  It has the traditional thumb safety and a removable 2 shot mag loaded from the bottom.  The down side is that the Browning was only made from 1996-98 and command a high price used.  I got mine for a steal.  I recently purchased a custom Remington 1100 in the 20 ga.  My gunsmith alters the receiver to handle 3" shells, drills and taps the receiver for a 4 hole Weaver mount with the foremost hole to barrel going all the way through into the barrel sleeve thus 'pinning' the barrel for extra accuracy but is removable for cleaning.  It is a sweet carrying gun, not quite as accurate as the browning.  It shoots about 3" at one hundred yards off the bench ans is topped with a Leupold 2X7.
As a side note, my gunsmith went to the 2009 shot show were he engaged in in depth discussions on shotgun slugs with at least one major ammo distributor.  Everyone is chasing the 2000 fps mark with their slugs.  They are learning that the plastic sabot cannot handle it.  They're reconsidering this to think the majic number is more lke 1600-1650 with a tighter barrel and a slight quicker twist(possibly 1:26).  I shoot Federal Barnes expanders 3"(old style large hollowpoint) in both my guns.  They fall within this parameter however the 20ga 3/4oz has been discontinued by Federal.  I believe that is why many people report good accuracy with Lightfield slugs.  They are slower and the sabot is most cases are attached to the slug.  I don't care for them only because they virtually never exit even on close shots(I prefer 2 holes in a deer). Remember when sighting in, clean the gun every 4-5 shots and let it cool between shots(5 -15 minutes depending on outside air temp).  The barrel just might feel warm but with the thin metal(compared to a rifle) it doesn't have the 'spine' to take any real heat without changing the point of impact.  I have fired many slugs through many guns and developed the above opinions in conjuction with a very knowledgable gunsmith.  PM me if you want.  Good luck!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:50 pm

I priced the brownings and that's why I started looking at the savage.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

federali

Postby federali » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:59 am

I've handled the 12 ga. Savage 210 and was a bit put off by its massiveness. I also owned a 12 ga. Rem. 1100 with a Hastings rifled barrel. I thought this slug gun to be too heavy.

I own and use an Ithaca Deerslayer II. The gun is light and trim and can hold 2.5"-3" at 100 yards with most saboted slugs. I nearly bought the Savage, believing that as it's a bolt action, it should be more accurate than a pump. Frankly, at typical woods ranges, I think any accuracy advantage of a bolt action is largely theoretical. But, if you prefer the bolt action, don't let any of us talk you out of it. I believe Marlin also makes a dedicated slug gun but I know nothing about it.

Return to Slug Guns