Scope on a Muzzelloader

8uck5nort

Scope on a Muzzelloader

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 am

I am going to scope my CVA wolf this year. I picked up a 40 dollar Tasco 3x9x40 rifle scope and weaver mounts. Question is do I go low rings thus removing the sights or go with medium or high rings with see-through to still use the sights and scope?

Not sure why I would want to use sights if I have a scope, but they must make them that way for a reason.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

MSHunter

RE: Scope on a Muzzelloader

Postby MSHunter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:11 am

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

I am going to scope my CVA wolf this year. I picked up a 40 dollar Tasco 3x9x40 rifle scope and weaver mounts. Question is do I go low rings thus removing the sights or go with medium or high rings with see-through to still use the sights and scope?

Not sure why I would want to use sights if I have a scope, but they must make them that way for a reason.

I have the exact same setup with the exception that my scope is a Bushnell instead of Tasco. Because I left the open sights on my muzzleloader, I went with see-thru rings (high) rings. I've heard that some states will not allow scopes on muzzleloaders (not sure if this is true). Personally, I think it comes down to personal choice and preference as to how the scope is mounted.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 am

I have a scope on my T/C and i try to stay with low or medium.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am

I have a 4X bushnell on my NEF 50 cal . All of my shots have been 100 yards or less .
Semper Fi !

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:17 am

Muzzie is scoped and sighted. I went to 100 yrd range last week after sighting in at 25 and 50 yrds. I had a 3 shot 2.5" grouing in a 4 inch circle (about the size of a deers heart) at 100 yrds. Not bad for a smoke pole.

So the muzzie ready.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

I've used open sights for as long as I've muzzleloaded.

I have a CVA Optima...and looking to put this on there...

[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][u]http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/shotgunmuzzleloader-scopes/ultimateslam/[/color]

[/size][/font][/u][font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]I like the reticles on this scope.

I've heard only positive things about Leupold...has anyone had experience with this one by chance?
[/size][/font]
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Return to Muzzleloaders