TC/Arms Lay Off

BruceBruce1959

TC/Arms Lay Off

Postby BruceBruce1959 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:47 am

Thompson lays off 66, furloughs 37 in NH

ROCHESTER, N.H. (AP) Rifle-maker Thompson Center Arms, one of the largest employers in Rochester, N.H., laid off 66 workers this week and furloughed another 37.
Company owner Smith & Wesson said the layoffs were prompted by a drop in sales of the company's black powder hunting rifles.
The cuts accounted for almost 29 percent of Thompson Center Arms' work force, bringing the number of workers at the factory to roughly 250. That's almost half of what it was just under a year ago.
The company cut 80 jobs in September and 36 last March.

If TC is only 1/2 staffed now,   will they be able to keep up production, maintain quality control and still meet Customer Service demands?   I sure hope so...

DeanoZ

RE: TC/Arms Lay Off

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 am

If TC is only 1/2 staffed now,   will they be able to keep up production, maintain quality control and still meet Customer Service demands?   I sure hope so...

While I never like to hear about anyone losing a job, in this current economic environmnet I can't say I'm surprised.  TC makes a quality firearm, but at $850 + for a ML, they won't remain comeptative in this market.  I've been considering a Pro Hunter ML but had to put off that investment for now..$$$ are tight.  I'm guessing the layoffs are a direct reflection of the slowing demand for their product right now, which would have a direct effect on production and customer service demannds at the present moment.  I'll say this much, I betcha if TC was still privately held they may not have had the layoffs or at least fewer ones...something to be said about a family owned business.  My prayers go out to the employees and their families.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:38 am

I just got the new Knight catalog and their prices reflect todays economy. I think average price is around $429. 

rookiehunter

Postby rookiehunter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:38 am

I have a Traditions muzzleloader and it is deadly accurate and with a price range 300 with the scope.  I would love to buy the prohunter as long as I could get the other barrels such as the shotgun barrel, the rifle barrel, but you can't get the barrels in Canada.  Why?  I don't have a clue.  You can get the prohunter but not the interchangeable barrels for it!  Go figure!

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 am

Can't go wrong with the Knight...I've killed quite a few with my LRH 50 cal.  Even picked off a coyote at 170 yds with nothing but his head to shoot at.  The only feature I wish this gun had is the toolless breach plug removal.  I've put quite a few scratches in my stock with the allen wrench system they use.
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Remington has produced over 10 million 870's! I have about ten, one of almost every gauge, slug gun, trap etc. When you get a T/C Pro hunter all you need is the butt and some barrels, great idea, great gun, but they won't rack up the numbers Remington has with that system. By the way has anyone heard of a gun case or something on that order to store extra T/C barrels???

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Firearms are selling off the shelves, everywhere. I think Deano is right on and S&W is just using the "bad economy" excuse to downsize.

Return to Muzzleloaders