Feeding whitetail deer..

nathandemoss09

Feeding whitetail deer..

Postby nathandemoss09 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Ok I have put a sweettlix livestock mineral block and some deer pellets out and have a camera on them and nothing has happend.. I dunno if i am scaring them off or they just dont like it so much they dont wanna come around it. what should I do? Also im puttin a new box stand out in a few weeks and I have real long shooting lanes to watch over is it true the farther away i feed corn the more deer i will see bc they are less scared?

passin through

RE: Feeding whitetail deer..

Postby passin through » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Yes on the feeding further...less chance them of seeing/smelling/hearing you too.  (Word to the wise though...practice shooting that range pretty intensivly so when big boy does come out you'll be ready) On the Mineral block and pellets...try mixing in a little corn to get them started.  The block itself may not be that great until June thru August.  Thats when they really pound blocks on our club.  Also they have to find it and are always slower about utilizing blocks in the beginning than just gobbling some corn up as opportunity presents itself.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

nathandemoss09

Postby nathandemoss09 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Anything other than deer corn?

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Corn works best for quick results.  Anytime I start a new protien feeder I mix in some corn to get them started on the pellets.  The reason behind the corn craze is the high carb content it has.  You can try other things but in the bayou state I don't know of another that will give you results (Pics for your camera) as quick.  Although pears and sweet potatoes are a close second.
What parish are you in?  I'm in Union.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

nathandemoss09

Postby nathandemoss09 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:31 am

Lol I have 2 pear trees in my yard how easy haha. But i live in ouachita parish but my hunting club is in jackson. How u like this weather change? its making me mad bc i wanna catch them good ol crappie.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Man, i have never had any luck with pears or sweet taters. Guess I have some picky eaters around my place. Can't keep enough corn though. PT, Ya'll feed corn year round, and if so where do you get it? Cheapest I found last year was in Ruston at a little over 6$ a bag.

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:50 am

BN-- we buy it by the barrel from a couple farmers north of Mer Rouge or a guy in Bonita.  Works out much cheaper usually. 
Try the pears in September or August if you can find a pear tree...mix in with some corn....They need to be over ripe (very sweet)  I generally pick up every thing that doesn't fall apart in my hand.....watch out for yellow jackets though[:D]

nathandemoss09

Postby nathandemoss09 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:32 pm

corn worked i found 1 bag at a store down the road lol.. got 37 pics so far gonna leave it out another week or so and then i will share pics.. thanks for the help.

Return to Louisiana