how, where, when, what

JoshuaBoudreaux

how, where, when, what

Postby JoshuaBoudreaux » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 pm

The moons here are sometimes brighter than the sun, the deer are smart, the weather is horribly inconsistant. Just wondering where you hunt, when you hunt, how you hunt, and what you hunt with.

I personally have hunted rabbit, squirrel and dove for most of my life and just got the bug for deer right before last season, so i spent all of last season working on the land and prepping for the upcoming season. I hunt about 200 yards down a tram that shoots off a levee directly behind my house which belongs to the person from which my parents bought their lot. I am planning on getting a 2 man fold out chair blind because there is a perfect spot for that on the land I've been working. threw down some throw-n-go rye and clover and a few salt blocks and  they are tearing it up. My Girlfriend bought me a winchester 1300 12ga slug gun for Christmas so next season I plan to give it hell.

what about y'all?

passin through

RE: how, where, when, what

Postby passin through » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 am

Welcome to the forum Josh!  You can learn a lot here.  As to your question the answer for myself is: Bow,Rifle,Shotgun & Muzzle loader; North Union Parish mainly with some out of state trips in the past; From Oct. 1 to Jan 31 as often as possible. I hunt from Box Blinds, Tripods, Lean-too ladder stands, Ground Blinds, and occasionally a lock on.  Also we use hounds when in season and have tried a spot-n-stalk hunt or two.  Just ask for any tips or help I or we can give you to make your first year chasing whitetails as fun as possible!
We just got the LA thread started a few days ago so spread the word! 

PS-- going by your hunt spot off a levee and your name are you hunting south of Alexandria?

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 am

Josh, welcome to the forum. Always good to have new members, especially when they're from Louisiana. Not many of us on the forum! Anyways, I hunt in Lincoln parish in N. Louisiana. I hunt with a bow, but primarily use the rifle. Sounds like your on the right track. Got the animals coming in where you want 'em. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. the forum is full of great information and people willing to share it. Once again, welcome!!

JoshuaBoudreaux

Postby JoshuaBoudreaux » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks to the both of you! I live in Lafourche parrish. In a community called Chackbay, which is a suburb just north of Thibodaux, LA. There are some HUGE deer around here, even around my house. As I am a bouncer at a night club I've had to swerve around my share running across the road on my way home from work. I know that there are several leases within a 5 mile radius from me, but around here if you aren't related in some way then you've been knowing everyone all your life, so they don't see me hunting here a problem.

I do have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any bait tricks? More specifically, how often should I be putting out salt licks or other baits?

2. What variables suggest the right time of day to hunt. I have fraternity brothers that don't go in the morning, just strictly afternoons.

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:32 am

I generally put out mineral licks -- (50lb blocks) out in the next 2 months so the deer can find and utilize during the heat and during the beginning of the horn producing stage.  I place them generally on a hardwood stump or block very close to a main trail.  Other than that I do bait with corn beginning in about July with automatic feeders.  Apples/Pears and rice bran are also good.  I do have one spot I feed year round with corn and protein pellets.  Auto feeders are definitely the way to go to make it economical.  ([:)]FYI:  the baiting subject is debated VERY heatedly out on the main forum...Its not legal up North)
Time of day just really depends on time of year--- a full moon and i generally sleep in and go sit from abt 10 am on till dark....every body is different though.  Real hot weather = slower deer movement so you can go later and get off earlier in the a.m (or at least I do)  A good cool day and the pre rut or rut is on?  It is advisable to try and sit as long as you can.  Really it just depends on you and the feel you get for deer movement over time.  Listening for shots is an indicator too.  The most important thing to remember is you arte not going to be sucessful on the couch.  Not judging your frat buddies but I had the same schedule in college and hunted a lot like you say they are...heck I'm not that far out of college and I still hunt a lot like they do....out of 62 stand hunts this year only 10 were mornings for me..but thats me ...our club kills a lot of good deer in the mornings but generally I don't get up for whatever reason.  My point is don't let anybody else set how you hunt.  The only other thing that might be helpful for you is the lunar tables inside La. Game and Fish Magazine...sometimes they are spot on.

Return to Louisiana