Stalking story--- funny if your not me.

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
AlleganBowhunter

Stalking story--- funny if your not me.

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm

This spring I was stalking my way to a clearing for Spring gobbler season.  This public land clearing that had a lot of sign and it was my first time actually hunting it.

I was slowly, quietly down a well worn trail.  As I got down the trail, I continued my slow and steady pace, eyes out for glimpses of feather and ears open for any turkey like noise.

As I worked my way around a curve, "slicing the pie" for any tactical minded folks.  I was just about done with my final slice when out of no where I hear a guy say "Hi!"

I jumped out of my skin and nearly did a few things I shouldn't mention here.  I turned around and saw a guy riding his mountain bike down the trail.  We made small talk and he went on his way.  I did my best to hid the fact the guy scared the living dookie out of me but don't think it work.

Point of the story is watch you back.  And you may want to bring a spare pair of drawers if you do any stalking on public land.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Woods Walker

RE: Stalking story--- funny if your not me.

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 am

Oh yes.....a "pants filler"! I've had a few of those myself! [:D]

And your advice to "watch your back" is dead on. If you are moving as slowly and quietly as you should, the area behind you is just as "hot" for potential game sightings as the area in front of you. This is a good way to determine if you are really stillhunting, and not just taking a nature walk.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

RE: Stalking story--- funny if your not me.

Postby scottflesher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I hear that loud and clear.
While I don't have much experience still hunting, I have jumped up deer and grouse headed to my stand well before first light. There's nothing that make you dirty your shorts quicker than a grouse jumping up 10 feet from you in the dark.

I've also had bobcats and 'yotes howl before daylight. if you're sitll on the ground it'll make the hair on your neck stand on end. Especially those bobcats. I swear it sounds like a baby squeeling.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking