Still hunting tactics. Share yours.

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Jslotter

RE: Still hunting tactics. Share yours.

Postby Jslotter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Has anyone tried this? For guys that hunt on large properties and usually you have the woods to yourselves through the season. Leaving certain sections of land off limits for the sole purpose of still hunting. I tried this and it works. I will hunt from my stand in a deep valley for a few days, leaving the other 100 acres alone. Then the ground pounding begins.
Especially draws and valleys and places unknown to man, because I know after opening weekend of rifle season, deer are going to areas where people won't go and hunt. Even right up behind my house, deer will take refuge when the pressure is on. Seems unconventional, but thats what still hunting is all about. Thinking outside the box. Finding areas untouched by hunters, even if its out behind the barn. Dont be afraid to poke around in odd areas. find that patch of timber out in the middle of a cut corn field and check it out. Brushy fencelines too. Go into the wind and take your time.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

joblessmike

Postby joblessmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:24 am

I hunt in western KY, I always hunt sitting on the ground. I go lite dressing just warm enough to stay warm and my hunter orange vest and hat KY law. And most every year I have deer walk within 50ft of me. Last yr. I shot a great deer 10 point 210lbs sitting on the ground at 60yds he has a perfect rack. I"m looking at him on my wall now it"s great. I see more deer sitting on the ground than anything else.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 pm

SHHHHHH.........Everyone KNOWS that the only way to shoot a deer is from a $300.00 treestand. This is good, because it keeps the majority of the hunters in the air, and not moving around on the ground. Let's keep the myth going! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

yogi44

Postby yogi44 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:11 pm

[size="3"]Glad to have another "ground pounder" among us!!![/size]

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking