hunting without blind, but not still hunting

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
danesdad

RE: hunting without blind, but not still hunting

Postby danesdad » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:22 pm

I hunt this way a good bit during the rifle deer season. Very common in Pennsylvania. In archery, I'm more inclined to climb a tree.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:24 am

A technique I like to use where I hunt is the highest point on a ridge line that overlooks a wide valley with good view through the brush and trees below. Works real well with snow on the ground. I will situate myself on a stump or rock with a pair of binos to over watch the valley and wait. I will scan the hill sides on the other side of the valley. You dominate alot of ground using this technique. I have taken many deer just doing this.

cva54

Postby cva54 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:17 am

I will start out bow hunting in a stand when the trees are green as hi as I can get some times with out a stand. as the the leaves drop so do I untill the snow comes. Then I am at my best. All fall long I find anbush spots I prop up sticks and cover them with weeds I rip out of the feild. I do this right on the edege of a field and woods is the best spot with the door facing the woods. Got 1 spot this year with a roof. looking out 3 sides to shoot out of the black side to the trees. when the snow comes I got me a nice WARM spot to sit and it looks just like a snow mound. I have been doing this for years and got a lot of deer that way. location location location! I just remberd when I started doing this as a teenager some were to smoke cigs and sneek a beer in the winter time that was 35 or more years ago WOW

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking