Ghille suit

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
croz2173

Ghille suit

Postby croz2173 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:50 am

Hey all,

Ive bowhunted about half from the ground and half from a stand in the past. Usually when I'm on the ground I'm sitting still in a blowdown or other hidey hole, although I have done some still hunting and actually drew back on an eight point this way. The buck never took the couple extra steps I needed, then turned and walked away. In my time in the woods I can say that nothing is better than being on the ground and having deer right next to you. Honestly dont even care about killing them if I get the encounters up close. I have experienced this a few times while turkey hunting. I've read some threads on this forum about stalking and they have been great, would love to have the mobility that a ghille seems to offer. Can anyone recommend a decently priced ghille good for a bowhunter? Also any tips to a newbie at this ghille thing would be appreciated.

jdbell91

Re: Ghille suit

Postby jdbell91 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:35 am

Check out www.bushrag.com. The Marc Anthony ghillie suit is made specifically for bow hunters. Marc Anthony is a contributor to this forum.

I use a Bush Rag chameleon suit for turkey and deer hunting. I use this on the ground and in a tree stand. I took a big nine point last year while wearing the suit in a hang on tree stand. My brother took a doe on the ground wearing the Marc Anthony suit last year. The doe got within 3 yards of him before he took her. It expired at his feet. If you want to get close to deer a ghillie suit can help you do that.

I think the best thing about a ghillie suit is that you don't need to buy any other camouflage clothing. Just wear the ghillie suit over your base layer or other clothes and you are good to go.

Good luck!
Semper Fi,

Joe

Woods Walker

Re: Ghille suit

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Whichever one you get, just be sure to take the time to trim it to your specific shooting style (having a helper for this saves a LOT of time...) and you must practice with it on!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking