Ground hunting

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
bmstaaf

RE: Ground hunting

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 am

I am going to try it this year as well, I got 3d camo and a light pair of boots. I am going to keep my still hunting for windy and light rain this year, staying in the stand when its calm just because I am not expierianced. Will see how it goes I feel as though I have the herd down to an art where they move when conditions prevail but I guess will have to see how good I really know the local deer! Thxs for the advice everyone.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Good luck to ya!! PLease let me know how you did later in the year.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Will do!

MZS

Re: Ground hunting

Postby MZS » Tue May 31, 2011 8:32 am

What I have often marveled at is the ability of some to "still hunt" as in creeping along at a speed slow enough to not be detected. My brother has done this archery hunting (in an area with a LOT of deer). He would groom trails and have set places to stop - so prep was key. What is the top speed of movement to do this?

I got one deer "still hunting", sort of. I slowly walked up on an apple tree, staying out of view. I figured a deer would be there and it was. Also, another time I walked up on a field edge where I expected deer to cross, and they did. I guess that captures the essence of it - know where they will be and keep out of view. In both these cases I only stalked up on them about 30 yards.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 pm

If you are thinking in terms of speed of movement, then you are finished before you start. Moving is the LAST thing you want to do. You only move after you have painstakingly dissected all the cover all around you from both high and low angles, preferably with a good pair of binoculars, and have satisfied yourself that the deer that you KNOW are there cannot be seen from the position that you're at. Then and only then do you move so that you have different views of the cover so you can start the entire process over again. Think of it like this....when you are still then YOU have the advantage. You are much more likely to see movement of an animal. When you move you give up that advantage and you give it to the animal you are hunting. So you only move when you must.

Considering this, then you can see that there are no hard and fast rules as far as how much ground you cover in a given time frame. Sometimes I may go as far as 200 yards in a morning's hunt. Many times it's only 50 yards. It all depends on the cover, the dryness of the leaves, and my mental state on a given day. There are some days when I have "happy feet", and it's on those days that I may very well just find a log to sit on. Other days I am in "the zone", and am almost in another state of consciousness. Those are the days when I have squirrels running over my toes and birds trying to land on me. Most days are a variation of those two extremes.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MZS

Postby MZS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Woods Walker! Your comments provide the kind of information I was looking for.

MSHunter

Re: RE: Ground hunting

Postby MSHunter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 pm

bmstaaf wrote:I am going to try it this year as well, I got 3d camo and a light pair of boots. I am going to keep my still hunting for windy and light rain this year, staying in the stand when its calm just because I am not expierianced. Will see how it goes I feel as though I have the herd down to an art where they move when conditions prevail but I guess will have to see how good I really know the local deer! Thxs for the advice everyone.

Hi bmstaaf,
I'd loose the boots and hunt in sneakers. Lighter, much more quieter and better feel of the ground and terrain.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:59 pm

"I'd loose the boots and hunt in sneakers. Lighter, much more quieter and better feel of the ground and terrain."

Excellent point. You've got to figure that just about everything with Vibram lug soles is pretty much worthless for stillhunting. Sneakers are a great idea, are relatively low cost, and are great in dry, above freezing conditions. Some of the sporting goods store/catalogs (Cabela's, Bass Pros, etc.), sell "stalking" boots that have light, non-lug soles. They also come in designer camo, and will cost you 4 to 5 times as much as a pair of Converse high tops that will perform just as well.

Bean's Maine Guide boot with the Thinsulate is also a good choice for when it get's wet and/or colder. You will NOT need pac boots, even on the coldest days, because compared to stand hunting your body will be working so keeping your feet warm is usually not a problem.

Many hunters who claim that you cannot walk quietly in a dry woods (you most certainly can) have never tried it with the right kind of footwear either!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking