labeled topo of my hunting grounds advice please

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
jdango89

labeled topo of my hunting grounds advice please

Postby jdango89 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:07 pm

map1.jpg
map1.jpg (770.23 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and new to hunting as well. I believe I have done significant research in the last month or two. And I have learned a fair amount about the whitetail.

unfortunately I have not yet had time to scout other then aerial and topo maps I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give advice on the topo map of the area i will be hunting.

I have three spots i labeled on the map that I felt may be good funnel areas. Im wondering if any more experienced hunters see any I missing and would be willing to explain why they would choose such spots.

The three ponds in the lower right of the left designated hunting area peaked my interested but I am unsure of the best vantage points. Same with the hills. There are some great hills here but if there isnt an obvious funnel i am not sure of the best spot to set an ambush. I was trying to find benches on the hills but I guess beyond the definition I don't fully understand what a bench looks like.

FYI I will be ground hunting only with a bow.

Thanks for any advice. Very excite for this weekend

Retranger

Re: labeled topo of my hunting grounds advice please

Postby Retranger » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 pm

You really need to get your boots on the ground and take a look at the area with your map and see where the deer sign is, what is there for food etc. Good luck
Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 am

Here's a link to theShamanic Guide to Speed Scouting as well as my pieceon hunting funnels and deer sign.

But seriously: Draw a line between #1 and #3. There are a lot of little fields, fencelines, etc that bear closer examination. My guess is that you will find travel corridors that can be hunted in that area.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

jdango89

Postby jdango89 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:37 pm

I knew I needed boot time but I don't have a lot of it and the season has already begun so I needed to narrow my searches down. I checked out 2 spots Sunday. The fields south of the parking and the x1 area. I found the fields to have prints though most looked old. And I did find fresh 2 nasty scat piles and a funnel into the field but no spot that I felt would give me a sure shot...

At first I didn't see anything around x1 and I was getting closer to that house and the edge of the hunting area. Then I can across a print kept walking more prints poo and a scrape. Poo was relatively fresh and the prints were as well as it had just rained the two prior days. Prints are scattered throughout say 50-100 yards but prints near the scrape have me most interested and I believe I saw rubs in the area as well. There is a gully/hollow behind a huge maple 10 yards directly across from the scrape. Its about 3-4 feet deep and give me awesome cover 360 degrees around though the backside doesn't proivide nearly as much its basicly a natural blind. I spent two hours sitting there this evening. No sights, heard ruslteing but can't be sure what it was. I aware that scrape got bigger overnight too. I can just jump in the creek walk over and examine the scrape without disturbing it.

Next weekend I'm going to hit that spot before light and stay til afternoon. Then I'll check out x3 in the afternoon or Sunday

I did read your links. Thanks for sharing. I will keep this alive and updated.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 am

Besides the topo take a look at bing.com. You just type in the address and can see the area. Put it in birdseye view and you can zoom way in and rotate 360 degrees. Great program I use it all the time and not just for hunting
Doug

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking