Switching Between Weapon and Binoculars

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Devil Ball

Switching Between Weapon and Binoculars

Postby Devil Ball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:14 pm

I've been struggling with what I believe must be a common still hunting problem. I have regularly seen the advice that a still hunting best practice is to take one or two steps and then glass 360 degrees with the binoculars. Take several more steps and repeat the process.

When I try to hunt in this manner I struggler to efficiently switch between my binoculars and my weapon.

My standard setup is either shotgun or a ML with a shoulder sling and a pair of binoculars mounted with an elastic chest harness. The binoculars need to be held with two hands to stabilize them, especially when considering any added tension caused by the elastic chest harness. In order to glass I first need to shoulder sling my weapon. Pick up the binoculars. Glass the 360 degress. Put the binoculars down and then unsling my weapon.

This activity causes way too much movement and takes way too much time. Not to mention for most of the hunt the weapon is shoulder slung and not at the ready.

Has anyone out there had binocular weapon/swapping issues? Does anyone have a suggested process for including binoculars on a still hunt?

Woods Walker

Re: Switching Between Weapon and Binoculars

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Good question! I stillhunt with both gun and bow, and what I've used for many years now for the gun is an elastic sling. It's not meant to be slung over a single shoulder (although you can do that with it), but draped around the shoulder and across the back as shown in the picture.

It can be carried pushed out of the way and on your back...muzzle pointing towards the ground...or you can carry it slung across your front and low to one side. It's VERY easy to bring it up to mount, and the elastic will pull the stock in towards you for a firmer anchor.

I also wear a bino-harness, and I put that on first and then the gun/sling goes over it. Then you can simply slide it out of the way when you want to glass.

Another thing about this set up that I like a lot for stillhunting is that it's very quiet, there's a minimal amount of movemnet that you must engage in to use it, and because the trigger/bolt/magazine area is right there at you side at arm's length, you can easily check you safety....which is something I do very frequently and without thinking about it. When you hunt in heavier cover and are kneeling/squatting/sitting a lot that's a REAL good idea.

I was turned on to this by my good friend and hunting buddy who is a Vietnam vet and the weapon he carried in Nam had a similar type set up.

sling.jpg
sling.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Devil Ball

Postby Devil Ball » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks. It makes sense that I need to experiment more with sling styles and sling techniques.

Devil Ball

Postby Devil Ball » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 am

I found a good resource for sling technique that will make sense for the way I hunt. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_QDj-naT7c

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking