Blinds

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
danesdad

Blinds

Postby danesdad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Does anyone use commercial ground blinds? I have one but have only used it for turkeies and I've never killed anything out of it. Any tips for success?
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

deerman69

RE: Blinds

Postby deerman69 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 am

I've shot a lot of deer out of my ground blinds over the years. For me the most important thing that I look for are the blind dimensions, so I can draw my bow without being detected. I look for at least 72 x 72 inches. I leave mine out year round so every animal get used to them, yes it's private property. The only other thing I do to them is when it starts to snow I put a support pole up inside to prop up the roof to keep the roof from caving in over the winter. The only thing that has messed up a few of my blinds over the years, have been e few porykies and some bears. Hope this helps. deerman

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 am

I bought a pop up a few years ago at an estate auction for cheap. Have never used it, but plan on using this year for turkey. I'll let you know how it works. I do plan on putting it out and brushing it in a week or so before the season starts.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Today was opening day for turkey in Ohio. Light rain greeted my buddy and I this morning. Over 3 hours had 6-7 gobblers within 45 yards of my blind, but they would come no closer. A hen was in a tree 15 yards from me when she flew down. Lots and lots of yelping and gobbling for the first hour or so, then they all left to go into thick cover. We had a blast. Buddy got a nice Tom. Rain called for until Thursday.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

I have a dog house That has been an absolute blast to hunt out of...though for bow I have to drop to my knees and shoot from an angle...It's one of the first ones out and a less expensive one....I also have a chair blind that I turkey hunt out of..also when they first came out...newer ones have a longer front end to them than this...but still it's a blast during turkey season....especially if I decide to move to an area I haven't built a blind in...or down at camp...bigger is better[;)]

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 pm

@Msbadger-sounds like you have one of those tiny blinds my buddy bought,he bought it and hunted out of it the same day.....he's a big guy to begin with...but low and behold when he went to draw on a doe he hit every corner of the blind possible...i was stand hunting 60yds away and couldn't help but laugh....the deer blew air and took off....he emerged from the blind in disgust....it made for some good comedy but he has since gotten rid of it.

On a side note ,i just finished my second bowl of ''turkey soup'' good luck everyone.[8D]

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 am

My chair blind is used for turkey hunting and also works well for handgun deer hunting. I confine my bowhunting to the Primos Escape and the Cabelas Trekker 200. I also have a Cabelas Trekker 100 and an Ameristep Outhouse that are used only for gun hunting or "scout blinds" before season starts.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking