Crazy man in the woods!

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
jonny5buck

Crazy man in the woods!

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 pm

I read an artcile i think D&DH had run about a guy that would stalk his way in the woods [im not sure if he was hunting w/bow/gun]......and he had this crazy man technique where when the deer would bolt he would run as fast as he could at the deer and then out to the side either rt or lft....then i believe he would wait in ambush.The deer [and ihave seen this true on occasion]....a lot of times run and then stop...looking back at whatever has spooked them....man...coyote etc.....they felt safe where they could stand and look at their enemy...ready for flight mode.His concept if i remember right was that if they couldnt see you and identify you that usually they double back and make a wide semi-circle...kinda like rabbits do...

There he would be waiting and they would be looking in the last direction they seen him.....directly behind them...all the while he's out to the side waiting to ambush.It was a tremendous article and something this dude perfected.Like he said you looked like a crazy man running like that,but to me it makes sense.

I have also heard of guys tying a squirrel tail 20or so yds away from where they are hunting w/mono tied to it....if a deer spooks they quickly make a barking squirrel sound or use a call while tugging on that.....confusing the deer and distracting it...so you could make the shot or draw the deers attention to that spot to investigate.One guy i talked with did this while stand hunting and said he used this technique before after he wiffed a shot...and the deer came back to see what mr.squirrel was so upset about.....he got whacked and stacked....and drug out of the woods.

shaman

RE: Crazy man in the woods!

Postby shaman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 am

I don't know about those tales, but I do know the squirrel trick works-- at least a variation.

If I get a deer that's got me busted, and they're to the point of pawing, and stomping and such, I'll bark like a squirrel and 6 out of 10 times, the deer will stop fussing and go back to what it was doing.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking