One Of THE Best Books On Stillhunting!

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Woods Walker

One Of THE Best Books On Stillhunting!

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 pm

I do have one thing to clarify first.......I have NOT seen or read Marc Anthony's book yet, so his is not yet considered.

But having said that, G.Fred Asbell's book IS one of the best books ever written on the topic!

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Books+DVD ... oduct.html
stalkingnstill.jpg
stalkingnstill.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 2710 times

If you are considering this type of hunting, or even if you just fantasize about it, then this book is for you. TONS of great tips and ideas. I can see this book benefitting treestand hunters also, just for the tips it will give you for walking in and out. I guarantee you this....once you DO kill one, or even have a close shot at one via these methods, you will be hooked!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Joel Spring

Re: One Of THE Best Books On Stillhunting!

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:41 am

Im a longtime stand hunter, but have killed my share of bucks from the ground. That book IS a great one.

Here in western NY, not many people still hunt that I know of. One of my best friends killed a monster bedded in a thicket behind his house. It remained bedded at about 10 yards, and he shot it there. Together, we got a large 10 pointer that remained bedded rather than bolt. A couple of years ago, I shot a doe while walking into my stand with my muzzleloader. I kept my cool and walked past her (not easy to do) and turned and fired just as she stood up.

It's amazing how they'll just lie still and let you pass if they think you're not onto them. But, that said, if you have one hitch in your step or come to a complete stop, they'll often jump up and run.

Mostly, hunting in snow is how we spot them in the thickets, their dark silhouettes standing out against the snow. The ten pointer appeared to be a dead deer back in the thicket, until we stood there just a moment too long looking at him....my hunting partner shot him as he stood up to run.

It's a heart pounding way to hunt. I always HUNT on my way to and from stands, just for this reason. It can be done....it can be done...it can be done....
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:09 am

Yes it can! In fact, the way I got into stillhunting was partially due to a stand I had on a bluff, where I'd spook deer going in a lot of times, so I decided that for that stand I would wait until I could see, and then walk in. I killed one that way one time, and that's when I began to realize that yes, it COULD be done!

That's why I said that even if you are primarily a stand hunter, that these methods would still benefit you as you walk in or out. After all, as long as you are in the woods during deer season you may as well hunt!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Has anyone else read this book?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks Woods Walker, I'm going to try and get this book! If there is any other books please let us know!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Woodsie, do you think Ashell's beard has anything to do with his success as a hunter? Just wondering. Up here in Wisconny the beard is becoming a big hit for hunters, claiming the beard is not only a distinguished trademark for manly men, but brings good luck for hunting.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Has anyone else read this book?

I ordered today - it better be as advertised! :P
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Jslotter wrote:Woodsie, do you think Ashell's beard has anything to do with his success as a hunter? Just wondering. Up here in Wisconny the beard is becoming a big hit for hunters, claiming the beard is not only a distinguished trademark for manly men, but brings good luck for hunting.

Well........I've sported a full beard now for 36 years....cut's down on the amount of face paint you need. Just sayin'......... :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Jslotter wrote:Woodsie, do you think Ashell's beard has anything to do with his success as a hunter? Just wondering. Up here in Wisconny the beard is becoming a big hit for hunters, claiming the beard is not only a distinguished trademark for manly men, but brings good luck for hunting.

Well........I've sported a full beard now for 36 years....cut's down on the amount of face paint you need. Just sayin'......... :mrgreen:

I too am bearded, but all hair holds scent as well. during deer season I trim mine down to about 1/2 inch, and cut my hair short as well. Less hair, less scent wick.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Woods Walker wrote:

Nice :) .
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking