Springfield XDS

rthomas4

Springfield XDS

Postby rthomas4 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

This is my newest carry gun, and it's the absolute most comfortable, accurate and easy to handle concealed carry weapon I've ever owned. I already owned a full sized XD that I carry when deer hunting as a back-up, and keep in the console of my truck as a defensive weapon. But this XDS has simply amazed me. I had been carrying a Taurus PT 745, but the XDS is so much slimmer and lighter, plus at 30 feet it's much more accurate.

If any of you are looking for the ultimate in concealment with the power of a .45, then I suggest you seriously consider this gun.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Re: Springfield XDS

Postby Deebz » Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 am

I've shot the .45 XDS. My cousin's husband got one. I'll agree that it's a fine weapon. The one thing I didn't like about it is that it really is too small for my hands. Not that I'm Gigantor or anything, but my hands are rather thick and wide across the palm... my ring finger was right at the bottom and my pinky was hanging below the grip. I just didn't really feel like I had a good secure grip on the gun.

I also thought the recoil on such a small light gun was more than what I'd want to shoot very often, but the stopping power of the .45 is definitely worth it in a self defense situation.

The whole range of Springfield XD handguns are excellent. My younger brother has the 9mm and my older brother has the .40. They all shoot very well and are very accurate.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 am

I solved the grip problem by adding the Pearce Grip extensions to the 5 round mags. They made a world of difference as far as that pinky finger problem. I've been trying to locate some of the 7 round mags, but even Springfield is out of stock on them, plus, their price is $37.50 each. I've found them at other places for as much as $125.00. I refuse to pay that sort of price for a magazine to fit a gun that I only paid $525.00 for, in the first place! As for the recoil, maybe I'm just used to shooting a .45, since I didn't think the XDS had any more recoil than the full sized XD. I know my Taurus PT745 seems to have slightly more recoil than the XDS, and I'm using the same ammo in all three of my .45 handguns. The new XDS in .9mm and .40 are due to hit the market pretty soon, so for folks who are more recoil sensitive, there will be an option.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am

Good point on the recoil... Most of my shooting experience has been long guns or smaller caliber handguns. My one handgun is a 9mm S&W Sigma SVE.

I've shot the full sized .45 XD on one outing with my family. I remember being surprised that it didn't have as much recoil as I thought it would. In hindsight, the day I shout the .45 XDS it was only about 25 degrees out, and I wasn't wearing gloves. That could be why I thought the recoil was worse... almost like it stung my hand when it went off. Kind of like hitting a ball just off your hands with a bat.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 am

I also have a Sigma, but mine is a .40 cal.

I'm what anti-gunners call a gun nut, since I own 9 handguns, and 40 guns total. Plus, I'm always in the market for another gun, and will rarely ever sell or trade one I already own. I did win a Remington Spartan .20 ga. O/U, which is made by Baikal, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough, which is how I managed to purchase my computer.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm

how's the trigger pull on your .40 sigma? the 9mm I have has a really tough trigger. I went with the 9 mm for 2 reasons... I couldn't pass up the price, and I wanted something my wife would be able to handle easily.

she has a lot of trouble shooting accurately due to the stiff trigger... most of her shots hit dirt about 20 feet in front of her... she ends up torqueing the gun a bunch before the trigger breaks

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue May 14, 2013 6:23 am

rthomas4 wrote:This is my newest carry gun, and it's the absolute most comfortable, accurate and easy to handle concealed carry weapon I've ever owned. I already owned a full sized XD that I carry when deer hunting as a back-up, and keep in the console of my truck as a defensive weapon. But this XDS has simply amazed me. I had been carrying a Taurus PT 745, but the XDS is so much slimmer and lighter, plus at 30 feet it's much more accurate.

If any of you are looking for the ultimate in concealment with the power of a .45, then I suggest you seriously consider this gun.

We have a Springfield .45, but I have been wanting another and have been seriously considering the XDS.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am

Deebz, the Sigma .40 has a better trigger than the M&P(my brother has one), as far as I can tell; also based on information I've gotten from several gun smiths I know. Work with her on her aim. Too many times people try to aim a handgun like they would aim an open site rifle, which will certainly create problems hitting the target. Also, teach her to squeeze the trigger, taking up any travel; and be surprised when the gun goes off. My Taurus PT 745 has a trigger safety, which took some getting used to and I've been shooting handguns for the better part of thirty years or more.

Sierra, you will not be disappointed if you go with the XDS!!!!!!!!

Return to Handguns