question about arrows, draw weight, and draw length

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
lil wrangler

question about arrows, draw weight, and draw length

Postby lil wrangler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:59 am

I'm left handed and I've been hunting for about 3 seasons now with a right handed bow..I finally have a brand new lefty bow, Bear Outbreak..too poor for next level :D , but very pleased with my new rig!! this new Outbreak is super adjustable as far as draw weight/length. I'm 5' 7" 'bout 140lbs. Currently I'm set at 25" length and as tight as I can go on limbs (manual says it goes to 70lbs, but it sure feels lighter) but i figure I'm at least 60. Part of my question is, how much draw weight do i lose/ in. of draw length lost? Also, can anyone tell me how to tell how many gr/in. an arrow has if it doesn't say, and how do you read the 350, 450, 3050, 4500.....code? on arrows? Is that a diameter #? I plan on shooting an 85gr, 3 fixed blade broad head, and was wondering what size arrow i should use, and if anyone thinks i should use a heavier broad head? Light arrow/light broad head, light arrow/heavy broad head, heavy/heavy??? Sorry to post so long w/so many question, but i want as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give, and thanks to Deer n Deer...LOVE those guys!!!
Bear Outbreak/60lb/25" draw/stock Trophy Ridge sight, rest, stabilizer, and quiver/lefty :D

Retranger

Re: question about arrows, draw weight, and draw length

Postby Retranger » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:42 pm

You don't loose any draw weight with the length of your draw. Also you don't need 70 lbs to hunt whitetail. If you plan on doing elk hunting or the such yes but not for white tail. The number of the arrow is in regard to the spline (stiffness of the arrow) the more poundage your bow is set at the stiffer the arrow you need. You need to match the stiffness of the arrow to the draw weight you have set on your bow. I can't be sure about the weight of the broad head other than it should be the same weight as your practice arrows. Don't know where you bought your bow but a reputable bow shop should be able to help you out on all this. I am fairly new to bow hunting, hunted only rifle for years, but have made the switch. I found alot of info on the internet. All kinds of info about your concerns and about paper tuning etc.
Doug

lil wrangler

Postby lil wrangler » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 am

thanx for the input, Doug. I have read a ton of stuff online, which has offered plenty of good info. I'm starting to learn that if i can't find the info I'm looking for, it's probably not important. I have looked around for arrows of good quality at a decent price. so foar i have come up with..Beman ICS Hunter 400's ($50/6), Easton Carbon Raider Platinums ($40/6), and Easton Aftermaths ($45/6)..there is an Easton Blood Runner?, i think, and a Carbon Express that are about $60/6. can anyone say yes or no to these models, or recommend any others in this price range? thanks again for any advice people can give. i also put my info on what i find so anyone else new to our sport can get more info too. hope my questions and peoples answers helps all that view this post. take care all!
Bear Outbreak/60lb/25" draw/stock Trophy Ridge sight, rest, stabilizer, and quiver/lefty :D

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 pm

I have the PSE stinger 29 inch draw and have the bow set at about 50/55 lbs. I was set up with the PSE predator 200 carbon arrow. I use a 100 grain field point and same weight in the muzzy 3 blade broad head. Seems to work well for me,
Doug

Return to Archery and Bowhunting