Brand new to hunting, bow question

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
dezzy

Brand new to hunting, bow question

Postby dezzy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:41 am

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to hunting, I've just been researching a bunch and I wanted to know what you guys thought. I know how to shoot, I'm comfortable with guns, so logically starting out with a rifle would be the easier route, but I'm real interested in bow hunting, from what I hear it's a lot more challenging and that's what appeals to me. Would it be unwise of me to start with a bow? If you guys think starting with a bow is fine then what sort of brand do you reccomend?

Deebz

Re: Brand new to hunting, bow question

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am

In order to answer your question, you should really consider your motivation for wanting to hunt.

If you feel like you NEED to kill a deer your first season to enjoy hunting, start with a gun. The simple fact that you have more range than a bow is going to make killing a deer easier.

If you want to hunt for any of the myriad other reasons that people take to the timber, a bow may be a better option.

Killing a deer with a bow most definitely requires a lot more work as far as practice and woodsmanship to be successful. I started hunting bow only at 14 years old. I didn't kill my first deer until I was 25. However, that 11 year gap was filled with GREAT experiences afield and a crapload of knowledge gained.

In Illinois, our bow season runs from Oct1 until Jan 15 or so... but we only get like 10 days total to hunt with guns. That's the biggest reason I enjoy bowhunting so much. However, I started hunting with a gun about 6 years ago, and I really enjoy the different approach and comraderie that comes with gun season.

If you have the means, I'd suggest trying both of them. Get a bow that you like and can shoot well, AND get some rifle tags. Try both methods and figure out what is best for you. Chances are you'll grow to like them both for different reasons. I know I'm pretty much guaranteed to kill a deer during gun season. However, I love bowhunting even though I know I'm probably NOT going to kill a deer each time I go out. That makes bow kills a lot more special for me.

As far as brands go, that is the equivalent of asking people what brand of truck is the best. Each company has their own signature style and options. Find a good bow shop and shoot some bows. I just bought a PSE that I really like, but I've shot Hoyt, Ben Pearson, Bear, and other brands that I liked as well. Price has a lot to do with my hunting gear choices.

What about a crossbow? If you are comfortable with a gun, and would like a bit of an added challenge, a crossbow may make a good choice for you. Plus, they're super fun to shoot.

Whatever you decide, remember that this thing we do is called HUNTING, not killing. Be prepared to have a lot of unsuccessful days. There will be days when you don't even see a deer. Then there will be days when the action is hot and heavy and your heart is pounding out of your ears...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:34 pm

There's some good advise from Deebz. I hunted for years with rifle,,,,never thought I could hit with a bow but decided to try it. Had no idea what to get but didn't want to invest a lot but wanted something decent. Went to Gander Mt and couple other places (be sure they are reliable) I actually ended up at the local sport shop with a better deal. Went with the PSE stinger package. Have had it for 3 years now and no problems with it. Would do it all over again :)
Doug

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 am

The PSE I just bought is a Stinger... It was on clearance at Cabela's. I bought it as a bare bow and had my sight and rest and such transferred over. I did buy a new quiver for $50 (the quiver I was using was a Qwik-e-Kwiver that my dad handed down to me from his High Country bow in the early 90's), so the total out the door was like $340.

I've found that you can get a really nice bow for a good price, but when you start adding the accessories it can get pretty salty.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Well said seen.

As to bows, don't forget used equipment. I would suggest you have a fellow bow hunter, help you in selecting one with no mechanical issues, but you can get a compound bow with sights and quiver for $50-$100 on Craig's list or eBay. Just because a bow may have a few years on it, does not make it trash. I have been shooting the same bow for more than 30 years. Your arrows, though, are a different story. You will need to have them trimmed to your draw length, and your colors and vanes and razor heads of you choosing. (There are threads here about those as well. Your arrows need to be very straight or "true" and should all be the same size and weight, so the arrows fly the same. (Oh, and welcome to the forum, and to hunting.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

dezzy

Postby dezzy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey guys, I've been looking at different bows and I have a quick question. I've found the Diamond Infinite Edge, which has a great price tag, but what puts me off is its 5-70 for draw weight. I've read a lot of people say that it's a "youth bow" or a "woman's bow". Frankly I don't care what people call it, would this bow be a great choice for an adult male starting out? The way I see it I can adjust it to it's higher range for draw weight and it'll be fine for me, and for hunting. Another bow with the adjustment feature is the Bear Outbreak, another option of mine.

My third bow that caught my eye is the Bear Encounter, anyone have any opinions on this?

Return to Archery and Bowhunting