Bowhunting Tips Needed

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Sc whitetails

Bowhunting Tips Needed

Postby Sc whitetails » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi I'm 13 and just now about to start trying to bow hunt. And I need help. I am outside an hour and a half every afternoon practicing. And I still not having any consistency. I hold the bow exactly the same every time, holding my anchor point the same every time, and I steel can't put the arrow in the same spot every time from 20 yards. I am using a bear apprentice bow with a whisker biscuit and a trophy ridge 3 pin sight and trophy ridge stabilizer. I was looking up stuff on the whisker biscuit and saw where it could cause in accuracy. So I'm actually going to bass pro tomorrow to buy a trophy ridge drop away rest. But please help. I really want to bow hunt this year

Sailfish

Re: Bowhunting Tips Needed

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 am

I would can the drop away for now.

WHat is your bow set at (IE how many #)?
Is it hard to pull? Hard to hold? WHat type of arrows? Are they matched to your draw length?

Lots of variables. Did you buy your bow at BP?
If so have them dial it in for you.
If not I would take all your gear, head to the local shop and have them ensure you are set up correctly.

BTW good job with the practicing
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sc whitetails

Postby Sc whitetails » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 am

It is set a 50 lbs draw weight. I can pull it back no problem. And the draw length is 26" and the arrows are 29" easton camo hunter super lite. I got the bow (bear apprentice) from dicks sporting goods a couple years ago as a present. (I was too much into my .308 to worry about it then lol). But will bass pro set it even though I didn't get it from them?
Thanks

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Try calling BP first to ask, but I'll bet they will set it up for a fee. It would be worth the expense. Good luck and practice, practice, practice.
A trick that my uncle told me was that when you go to practice imagine that your first arrow is being shot at a big buck. The rest of the arrow are never as important as the first. Practice how you hunt because you will not get a second chance when a deer is standing in range.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Well first off, WELCOME to the ranks of bowhunting! It is definately a journey and not a destination, but it will make you a much better hunter overall as your knowledge of deer and their behavior will by necessity increase significantly.

To address your questions, I will break it down into two parts, your equipment and then YOU.

At this point as far as the equipment goes all you can do is as the other posters here have mentioned and make sure that you bow is tuned right and matched to the arrows. I wouldn't really worry about a whole lot more than that right now.

Now to you.........

The bow you shoot is only going to be as good as you are. What you need to do is preferably have someone who knows about archery teach you the basics. Shooting a bow revolves around 5 things......the DRAW, the ANCHOR, the AIM, the RELEASE, and the FOLLOW THROUGH. This is called the SHOT SEQUENCE and is the exact same in importance regardless of what kind of bow you shoot, compound, recurve, or even a stick you find in the woods and make a bow out of.

These 5 things must be performed correctly and CONSISTANTLY and without you consciously having to think about them. That's what's called ingraining them into your muscle memory. It's like shooting a basketball, playing an instrument or riding a bike. Once you are rock solid in your form and can perform the shot sequence automatically THEN you can start worrying about your accuracy because until you have it down you will have no accuracy.

This takes the shooting (correctly I may add) of literally THOUSANDS of arrows and is not something that you achieve in a few weeks or even months. What you need to do is to not worry about shooting at any distance, but practice up close. When your arrows start grouping (even if the group is not where you're aiming exactly) THEN you know that your form is beginning to solidify. Once you are consistantly grouping arrows then you can tweak your sights and other gagets you may have on your bow to move the group where you want it.

I started out on recurves and then shot compounds for 26 years before going back to the recurves and believe me it's ALL archery and the basics are the exact same.

PLEASE feel free to ask any questions. We are more than willing to help you get started.

One final thought..........I wouldn't plan on shooting at any live animals this season. You have a long way to go my friend, and once you do become consistant then we need to talk about SHOT PLACEMENT with an arrow. If you've only gun hunted that is a very important part of bowhunting that's somewhat different than hunting with a firearm.

Best of luck to you and HAVE FUN!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:15 pm

To echo Woodsy a bit here, Welcome Young Sir!

You've already gotten pretty much the basic rundown of where you need to get started. It sounds like you have the basics figured out, it just takes a LOT of focus and practice. Bass Pro and the like are nice, but I'd really recommend that you find a local bow shop with a range that you can begin to frequent. Aside from the shop Pro, you'll likely meet a lot of guys that have a lot of experience.

Another piece of advice: Be a sponge. Listen to everything anybody wants to tell you or show you. DON'T be a carbon copy! Make sure that whatever you are doing is comfortable for you. 10 guys may tell you 10 different ways of performing the "shot sequence" Woods Walker mentioned. What you need to do is to decide what works for you, and then be consistent with it.

When it comes time to attempt to take a deer, you can't be thinking about your shot sequence. It has to happen automatically once you decide to draw. It's probably a good idea to think about at least limiting your actual hunting this year. If you just REALLY need to get out there (which is also going to be the best thing you can do to learn how to HUNT, which is a whole 'nother ballgame after learning to SHOOT), maybe limit yourself to a 10/15 yard shot and make sure you can put 6 arrows in a group no bigger than a paper plate. As mentioned before, study deer anatomy and start reading and learning about shot angles and such.

Finally, I'm sure you have already, but check out YouTube. Don't just search hunting/kill vids though. Search for tutorials on how to shoot and whatnot.

Woods: Funny thing, I'm 32 and have been hunting with a compound since I was 14. My wife got me a Samick Journey takedown recurve this year for my first Father's Day present ever. I've been shooting it and am falling in love with it. You may have seen some of my posts on the Leatherwall forum, but I'm going to try to put some pics up stuff here soon...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am

Leatherwall! Same handle? I'll look for you.

We DEFINATELY need to get to the next 3-D shoot over in Rochelle and you can use your Sammick if you like!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Sc whitetails

Postby Sc whitetails » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm

One other question. How do I prevent torquing my bow?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:24 am

Don't have a death grip with your bow hand. In fact, you should have an open a grip as possible. Some people employ a wrist sling so that when they release the bow actually falls from their hand and the sling catches it. Some target shooters use this.

In theroy the bow should be resting as much as possble in the area between your thumb and pointer finger, with most of your fingers open and not wrapped around the bow handle. The bow hand should be relaxed.

Another technique you want to try is to think "push away" with your bow hand/arm throughout your entire shot sequence so that your back muscles are doing most of the work and NOT your drawing arm. This also will help you maintain maximum back tension and will help avoid the dreaded collapse of the bow/drawing arms, after which everything about the shot goes bad.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 pm

I do go by the same handle on the Leatherwall.

It's been forever since I've been to a 3D shoot, but that would be cool. I dont' know if I'm ready to take the recurve to a shoot though. I'm pretty limited to 10 yards right now. I tried 15 the other day and had to chase down a few arrows... :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting