Bowhunting Tips Needed

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Woods Walker

Re: Bowhunting Tips Needed

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 pm

If we go to the one in Chana don't worry about the range. Just shoot from wherever you feel most confident from and HAVE FUN!! No one say you have to turn the score in anyway. I'll contact you for the next one for sure. I can watch you shoot and be your "mirror". That can be a huge help when you're learning this way.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sc whitetails

Postby Sc whitetails » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 am

Okay guys thanks for the help. I did what you guys told me to, and I also got a NAP 360 capture rest. Now all my arrows are skinning each other from 25 yards :D . I think I will be ready by the time deer season comes.
Thanks for all the help

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Well, I just lost a short novel, so I will see if I can touch on the high points.
First off whitetails, welcome to the forum.

As Woody's said, it is the archer that matters most, not the bow. A bent stick and a bootlace will kill a deer. (I know because I've done it).many years ago, me and a friend wanted to know just how primitive we could go, and still get meat. It worked, we ate, and stealth mattered much more then how to throw the arrow.(in fact, the arrow was the hardest part to craft.)
I still use the bow I received a gift. When I was 16. It is an Indian Stalker, nothing special (except to me) it is stripped of all sights, no frills but a quiver, but we know each other pretty well. We should, we have been together for nearly 35 years.
Don't get caught up in the need for all the latest gear and coolist broadheads, truth is, every broadhead you can buy will kill a deer. And the deer don't understand fashion, so last year's camo works just fine.
The fanciest gear will improve you shooting a little bit, not much. Only learning how to do it right will really improve your abilities. Then and only then, will the best gear show it's worth. Much like a good knife needs to be well sharpened before it can do the job right. It's not about how shiney it is, but the quality of the steel and the edge that matters.
You sir, are that blade. Everyday you practice, your edge is being honed, the burrs removed, the Rouge applied, and the stroop to polish it fine.
This is not my bow, but a pic of one. Mine has been modified to accept standard sized , easy to find bowstrings.
Attachments
15602_01_indian_stalker_compound_bow_55_640.jpg
15602_01_indian_stalker_compound_bow_55_640.jpg (55.26 KiB) Viewed 337 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Like woods said. Don't grip the bow tightly. I had a PSE that could not be shot gripped. You had to shoot with an open hand or you would torque the bow and the arrow would go off on a tangent.. As for the whisker bisquit, I would get the bow tuned before I changed the rest. The WB is an excellent hunting rest. The older you get, the more you will realize that in a hunting bow you need to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). The more stuff, (read accessories), that you put on your bow the more likely something will break or come loose.

The best thing that you can do is get to a 3D range. When I started to shoot 3D my deer harvest went way up..

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting