Sharpening Rage blades?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JPH

RE: Sharpening Rage blades?

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 am

Cool. Will try it myself and report back.

Thanks Dan.

Klawhorn & Smith's right? =

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:51 am

Those are the exact same sharpeners I use. Be sure to use steady pressure when sharpening. Do not force the motion. You will find some blades (on all heads) have imperfections (nicks) in them that make sharpening difficult. The key is patience. The result (scary sharpness) will lead to very quick kills. Massive bleeding should be the ultimate goal for any broadhead.

Thanks for sharing the images, Joe.

Best,
Dan

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:48 am

100% success on resharpening while still attached.  I used a handheld this weekend on my two old rage heads and on one of my new ones that got its first taste of blood Saturday afternoon.  I have got to say again how much I love those blades!  My shot saturday was a 24yd quartering away shot and I held a little higher than I needed to.  The result was a clean cut rib and a spinal column cut cleanly 50% through. (the bottom side of the spine got cut as the blades went through her) The deer dropped in its tracks and even with two bones cut, there were no nicks in the blade and the arrow was a complete pass through.  After a wash off, that broadhead was treated to 10-15 strokes on each side with a handheld sharpener, tested on arm hair and a rubber band and deemed to be very scary sharp.  Actually I had never performed the rubber band test so it was repeated several times for effect.  Thanks again Dan on ther howto and JPH for the pics of what to use----- works great!

wisbowhntr

Postby wisbowhntr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Another thing you can do after using the sharpeners mentioned is to take the blades to what is called a ceramic steel. This is the steel you would use if your working in a resturant or at a meat packing  plant like I use to work at .I use one of these on my knife blades after I send them thru a electric knife sharpener and it puts on a very nice fine egdge on the knife blade.Just another suggestion for you all .

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 am

JPH now that our first season is almost over in WI. this turned out to be a perfect thread for me.  I shot some dirt and had some sharpening to do.  I took the blades off and used a wet stone.  That came out so-so.  The clamp idea is a for sure thing!!  Actually I was disappointed with the out of the box factory edge on my rage 2 blades.  There gonna get the clamp next!!!!

Thanks Dan and good luck to all!!
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:03 am

WOW, The rage2's must just be a way better head than the rage3's.

I shot a deer with rage 3's this year and one blade hit a rib and its so mangled i wouldnt even think of sharpening it. The other 2 would have probably been all bent up to, well if they would have opened[:@]

Great topic, im sure this will work on any head you put the stone to.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

WOW, The rage2's must just be a way better head than the rage3's.

While i have not used the 3, I think you are correct. I sharpened my blades and put all three boradheads into deer. While I admitted in other threads that two of those hits were far from perfect, all three were deadly.

I was talking to my taxidermist yesterday. He uses the Rage-2 also. Oddly enough, he also hit a buck too far back this season but recovered him. I think he put it well (although I'm glad he said it an not me), "This head turns a marginal hit into a lethal wound".

Now PLEASE do not misunderstand him (or me)! Nobody I would ever associate with would look to make poor shots and count on the broadhead to make up the difference. But things do happen, and the Rage-2 with a good hand sharpening has saved a few of us from our own screw-ups.[8|]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:48 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Thanks Dan.

I just picked up my very first package of Rage 2's.  This will be the first year I've ever shot an expandable.

Thanks everyone for letting us know how to resharpen these blades.

Can these sharpeners be picked up anywhere?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woody

Postby Woody » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Must of missed this thread its first time thru. Very interesting guess I never gave much thought to resharpening my rage broadheads. Thanks to all the advice I will for sure give this a try.
Patriot, IMO I do not think you will be dissapointed in your Rage 2 blade broad heads. Also not sure what Mrs Patriot shoots but rage makes a new 2 blade (100 gr.) with a 1.5 inch cutting diameter. It is designed for bows with less kinetic energy.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:05 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

ORIGINAL: JPH

Thanks Dan.

I just picked up my very first package of Rage 2's.  This will be the first year I've ever shot an expandable.

Thanks everyone for letting us know how to resharpen these blades.

Can these sharpeners be picked up anywhere?

Yes, most sporting goods stores should carry them. If you cant find them locally, Cabelas has them on their website.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting