Sharpening Rage blades?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
reeper0697

RE: Sharpening Rage blades?

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:10 am

I wasnt born on this forum yet when this thread was made but since someone bumped it I will add my 2 cents

I have bought 2 packages of the rage 2 blades and I would highly recommend checking how sharp the broadheads are right out of the package. Both pachages of mine have been rather dull like Jabone mentioned above.

I also used the exact same Smith sharpener. I got my blades pretty sharp but like Dan said above you dont quite get the whole blade, but you do get the majority of it.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 am

Great thread!  I assume we can do the same with the NAP mechanicals.

I bought the Rages last year after meeting Chuck Adams at the Harrisburg,PA Sportsmans show and verifying that he did switch.

My question is did anyone's practice head fly the same as the actual broadhead?  Mine sure didn't no matter how much tuning I did.  I never got the opportunity to test them on a deer last season.

The closest flying head to a field point that I've found is the NAP mechanical but I've never taken a deer with them.  I have hesitated in using them after reading that on quartering shots they may skip.

I have successfully used NAP Thunderheads and Innerloc 75's but neither shoots close to my field point's place of impact.

Charlie Belle

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:14 am

ORIGINAL: Woody

Must of missed this thread its first time thru. Very interesting guess I never gave much thought to resharpening my rage broadheads. Thanks to all the advice I will for sure give this a try.
Patriot, IMO I do not think you will be dissapointed in your Rage 2 blade broad heads. Also not sure what Mrs Patriot shoots but rage makes a new 2 blade (100 gr.) with a 1.5 inch cutting diameter. It is designed for bows with less kinetic energy.

Hey Woody,
Thanks.  I actually just saw the add for the 1.5 inch Rage's.  I think Mrs. Patriot will be shooting my old Wasp Boss 100gr heads this year....just one less thing to buy that way.  Once those are gone, I'm pretty sure we'll switch her over to the Rage.  By then she should be pulling over 40 pounds and getting that KE up.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:49 am

ORIGINAL: CB on the run

My question is did anyone's practice head fly the same as the actual broadhead?  Mine sure didn't no matter how much tuning I did.  I never got the opportunity to test them on a deer last season.

Mine fly like field tips.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:54 am

Mine did as well.  However depending on the target your using if the practice blades stargetting bent I noticed the flew a tad bit erratic.  I'd say 90% of the time they flew just like my field points.  I am going to switch to the two blade though and keep my threes for turkey hunting

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:42 am

My Rage two blades fly like field points as well. When I first got them, I tried shooting them with the blades sitting verticle vs. horizontal. They shot better for me sitting horizontal, with zero windage adjustment needed for my sight.

Deano Z, what kind of target can deform rage pratice heads/blades? Plywood?
Dave M.

Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 am

My question is did anyone's practice head fly the same as the actual broadhead? Mine sure didn't no matter how much tuning I did. I never got the opportunity to test them on a deer last season

I shoot my practice rage tips with my field tips and they are very consistant...
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:16 am

ORIGINAL: Bowtechian

My Rage two blades fly like field points as well. When I first got them, I tried shooting them with the blades sitting verticle vs. horizontal. They shot better for me sitting horizontal, with zero windage adjustment needed for my sight.

Deano Z, what kind of target can deform rage pratice heads/blades? Plywood?

I'll have to get the exact name but its that one that is shaped like an octagon on all sides.  its supposedly good for broad heads, and I believe it is, but when the practice blades deploy on impact it tends to bend them...after about a dozen shots with the practice heads the blades were pretty mangled.  So now I wil take just a couple shots and if everything seems ok i stick to the field points.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:50 pm

I thought you were talking about the practice head that comes with each pack that doesn't open. I have three practice heads, & after weighing them found out one was at least 5 gr. heavier than the other two. I actually weigh my broadheads & arrows seperately & match them so they all are within a few grains of each other.
It may be considered being too anal, but I think aids in all your arrows shooting the same.

Deano, if your talking about the Rinehart 18-1, is it as good as advertised?
Dave M.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 am

"I shoot my practice rage tips with my field tips and they are very consistant..."

Mine shot identical also but the rage broadhead shot 4" low and 3" right. 

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting