string noise.

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
tonyotony

string noise.

Postby tonyotony » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:24 am

I'm in my third year of bowhunting, and recently, noticed that my string is making a bit of noise upon release. Could that be the string stretching out? Could tightening it, by cranking the draw weight a little, eliminate this?

Goose

RE: string noise.

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 am

Are you sure the string is making the noise?
Do you shoot a peep with a tube connecting it to a cable? That may be the noise you are hearing.
If the string stretched, I don't think you would hear it.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:41 am

Would this be for a recurve bow? That I can help you with. My guess is no, but I'm just asking.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

tonyotony

Postby tonyotony » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 pm

It's a compound bow, without any bells or whistles, but I recently added a small light for the pins, and maybe that's what I'm hearing.

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 pm

You've got to check everything. Last year my bow developed a noise that turned out to be the mounting bracket for my quiver had a small crack that was causing the vibration.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:26 am

If you are practicing with a quiver , make sure everything is tight .
Screw your stabilizer in tight . Mine had loosened before and made a weird noise .
Anything that is loose can vibrate and make noise .
Semper Fi !

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 pm

normally the noise that arises when I shoot is my wife yelling at me to get back in the house. she's seen me shoot one to many times and afraid I'll wound a neighborhood kid.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:46 am

Do you have string leetches or some type of silencers on your string?
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Tonyotony,

I'm not an expert but I do work on bows quite a bit, and I do have a small bow shop. If it is in fact "string noise" you have a few possibilities.

1. Did you change anything on the string? If so change it back and see if that fixes the problem.

2. If your bow is in the lower poundage range ie. less than 50 lb draw wieght (especially if your letting it down from its max draw weight) then yes this could be string stretch, but not likely, and yes tightening it up would fix it as you have probably lost a couple of pounds with the stretch.

3. If you have been shooting the same bow for 3 years you should check for cam lean. That is hold your bow straight up and down and see if your cams are tilting at a different angle than the string.  If so you will need new axels to fix the problem. 

4. Bent cams.  Check your cams to see if they are bent.  With the light wieght materials that bows are made of it only takes 1 not so healthy thump on the gound/a tree/dropped case..... to bend one.

5. Mabye this should have been first, but if you have been shooting the same string for 3 years you need to replace it.

6. If you use rubber string silencers check to see if they are broken or worn out, and replace as needed.

7. If it is not any of these then it is probably not string noise, but somthing else loose on your bow.  Personally I take every screw out of any new bow I get and put blue lock tight on all the threads. It has never failed me.

Hope this was helpfull.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 pm

You probably need a new johnson rod.

(All you Seinfeld fans out there probably know what a johnson rod is.)

Return to Archery and Bowhunting