Which one works best?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DeerAddict

Which one works best?

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 am

Which type of clothing works best at reducing scent??? I don't use any of them yet, but i'm trying to see which one is best so I can decide on one and use it.[:)]    Thanks..... Sam

DeanoZ

RE: Which one works best?

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Well many here will disagree, but I'm a big fan of scentlok, and for me it works.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Keep your body, gear, and clothes clean and as scent free as possible, and then you don't need this other stuff in the first place.

The only thing they are ALL good at is separating you from your money.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 pm

I agree with you there woods walker but they have to at least help a little. A little is better than nothing. just a thought

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm

deeraddict,
I didn't cast a vote. I would like to make a statement that is purely my opinion based off about 20 years of my hunting experience, not to mention about 40+ years of experience passed down from my father.
It has been proven that carbon cannot "regenerate" by throwing it in a dryer. Carbon has been proven to be great at absorbing elements, such as scent.
With that said, any carbon clothing has a "lifespan". I'm not a chemist, so I'm not going to speculate on how long that lifespan is, could be a few days to a few months for all I know.
I think that the main question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to spend the extra money for a carbon clothing given the lifespan that it has? There are scent free soaps, detergents, deodarant, gum, sprays, etc that will help you minimize your scent when in the woods. If you hunt high enough and the thermals are rising as they often do in the morning, you should be safe enough (in most cases) even if deer are downwind from you.
If you're hunting during the rut, a whitetails primal instinct to breed will far outweigh his concern for safety if he's with a hot doe. Sure he may not come up to a human that he can see, but if he detects a slight smell of human, he may not care as long as the doe doesn't bust you.
You're going to find a lot of skeptics in these forums, and I agree with the majority of them. But in the end you need to do what you feel is right for you and what makes you comfortable.
For example. I'm an avid bowhunter and I hunt primarily out of stands, fixed and climbers. I rarely hunt on the ground with a bow. Many bowhunters prefer ground hunting and I guess if you had a crossbow, it would be OK, but personally I'm not comfortable (confident may be a better word) on my odds of harvesting a mature deer while on the ground with my bow. Sure I could get close, but drawing and shooting undetected is a whole different story.

My recommendation is to get you a good moisture wicking base layer, a good insulation layer to go on top of your base layers, and then a good camo pattern (doesn't need to be expensive) that you feel blends into the area you hunt.
Learn as much as you can from all the posts here, but remember that a hunters opinions are based on their (or others they know) experiences. If they've had different experiences, then it's logical that their opinions may vary. Do your best at preparing yourself to be successful in the woods, but be sure to experiment and learn from your experiences and mistakes. That is what's going to make you a good hunter.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:49 pm

X2! Very well stated Scott!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:32 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Keep your body, gear, and clothes clean and as scent free as possible, and then you don't need this other stuff in the first place.

The only thing they are ALL good at is separating you from your money.

RIGHT ON!
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 pm

scottflesher is CORRECT!!

Return to Archery and Bowhunting