Scent eliminating Clothing

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
shaman

RE: Scent eliminating Clothing

Postby shaman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Read this first.........

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=72812

And while your at it, read this second:

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=76979

It's cheap, easy, effective, and pre-dates the goofy scent-management mega-craze by 5 years or more.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

WhiteTailobsessions

Postby WhiteTailobsessions » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:23 am

I have to disagree with a lot of you guys on this subject. Because I proved this. I wear Scent Lok full season suite. I'm not saying you have to buy it. I used to wear jeans and a black shirt. But the use of a good set of Camo with scent killer spray will help new comers to bow hunting or even people that haven't been able to get a close shot off at a deer in the last few years. If you if think scent killer doesn't work I want to challenge you. I did this and know this works. I shot bow for a month straight in 80* temps with 85% humidity, well my release smelled horrible so I hand washed with dish soap 3 times and still could smell a fowl smell. I decided to spray some scent killer on it instantly gone.

For an experienced hunter the expensive suits might be a wast of money because you know how to hunt the conditions. But some of the suits work in combination with other factors. I hope this helps some people.

Gun hunting I wouldn't bother.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Ive never used the stuff.  I usually just use some 99% and go.

Don't know if it will help you or not but last year I was sitting in my blind during the early season sweating like a pig and stinking like one too, when I had several deer come into the field in front of me and bed down.  One of the older does even laid right up against my blind and went to sleep.

Fulltime Soldier

Postby Fulltime Soldier » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm

I personally believe than the "scent-free" carbon clothing works to and extent. But, I believe that people buy the clothing and think that it's gonna kill all their scent. For example, people smoking, cookin bacon before they head out, ridin in their vehicle, standing near exhaust, and smokin one last cigarette in their carbon clothing prior to going to their treestand thinking that they are "scent-free." I am not argue inthe extent of the clothing's scent eliminating abilities. I think the clothing is a tool to "minimize" your human scent. And, should be used along with a good scent "eliminating" regiment ( scent-free laundry process, showering, avoiding strong smelling and Gas causing foods, changing into hunting clothes just prior to entering the woods, and not getting gas in your hunting clothes or boots). Carbon clothing is a tool not a crutch.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
Thomas Jefferson, US

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I agree that it's a tool, and not a be all/end all. But that's not how they adveristed it for 2 decades and is why they lost in court.

It was also judged in the court that it CANNOT BE REGENERATED IN A DRYER AS ADVERTISED EITHER, so if it IS a tool, it's a tool with an extremely limited lifespan, and an incredibily expensive one to boot!

I don't own a stitch of carbon clothing, I hunt on the ground exclusively, and just this year I've had 7 deer in 4 hunts within 5 to 15 yards of me and not one of them winded me. And this is not unusual for me, this happens every season.

If it gives your confidence then great. But you sure as heck don't need it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 am

I'd just like to add, that Scent killer and Scent sheild work differently.

Scent killer kills the smells on contact, where Scent shield forms a gas like a barrior, that prevents most of the air-born scents from leaving your body/gear.

So if you're just de-scenting with only spray, Scent sheild is probley going to be the tool for you to use.

Personaly, I use the Scent Killer products, but I go all out with de-scenting my gear and body.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:05 pm

I don't and wont own any scent blocker carbon clothes. Science proves it is a scam. I dont use any scent blocking sprays. I wash my clothes and hang them air dried outside and alway rewash when I sweat or get them bloody.  I shower before every hunt with no scent soap. I play the wind and I kill many deer. Read paragraph 3 in this article from a very well known and proficient bowhunter.http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features ... akingwind/

3tail

Postby 3tail » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:07 pm

forget those clothes just hunt the wind and buy something elese with the money you save.

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:41 pm

what do you guys think about scent killing sprays then? I don't use carbon clothing due to the unwillingness to invest in a new spendy wardrobe, but I do wash my regular cotton and denim camo clothes in scent killing detergent, store it all in a tote, change when i get to my hunting spot, spray down with spray, wear rubber boots, and play the wind. That is the extent of my scent control regiment, so do you guys think the sprays and detergents are useful or just a waste of money? I personally feel they help me reduce my scent, and I guess if nothing else it gives me a confidence factor, haha.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:26 pm

As you see, lot`s of ideas and opinions, and some pretty passionate......

I`ve used the Scent-Loc liner and believe it worked for me......at the same time, I haven`t worn it for several seasons, but do still follow a very involved scent-free process of body and clothes washed in scent-free hunting detergent, then a liberal spray down with Scent Killer spray before getting into the woods, and this works wonders as well.

Even tho I do believe the Scent-Loc liners do work, I feel you can do just as well with the scent-free soaps and detergents and Scent Killer sprays.....
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting