I broke my Osage Orange bow, Now what

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ToddRvs

I broke my Osage Orange bow, Now what

Postby ToddRvs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 am

I went hog hunting this weekend with a friend of mine. I had made a bow for him so he wanted to take to the woods and see how it performs. I made him some arrows and flint heads as well.. Anyway, we meet up early this morning and head out to the hunting area which is about an hour or so away. We get to the hunting area and unload the 4 wheelers and start riding to the stand locations. As we are driving down the trail, it is still some what dark out and then it happened, SNAP!!! the unmistakable sound of a piece of wood breaking. Except this piece of wood was my bow. I had placed the bow in the rilfle rack on the front of the 4 wheeler and it caught a bush or limb or something on the side of the 4 wheeler trail and snapped. My heart sank, this was my favorite bow made of osage orange and bamboo backed. So much for the hunt for me anyway. My friend made it to his stand and killed a nice meat sow with his bow just after first light. We met back at the truck and I told him what happened. So we loaded up and got home. Now I need to build another bow. I think I will make a hickory or yew bow... Just wanted to share my pain.
Keep It Safe
Leave it like you found it
Pick a spot
and bring home your trophy

http://bowhunting.blog.com/

Woods Walker

RE: I broke my Osage Orange bow, Now what

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:12 pm

That would break my heart as well as the bow!!!! [:o]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

mdbowhunter

RE: I broke my Osage Orange bow, Now what

Postby mdbowhunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 am

Sorry to hear that man. How long does it take to make a bow?

Return to Archery and Bowhunting