broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
trapperDave

RE: broadheads

Postby trapperDave » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:30 pm

my personal opinion is all things mechanical are designed to fail. And you dont need a football sized hole to kill a deer [:D]
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

passin through

Postby passin through » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:49 pm

For my self I'm all about them.  Blood trails are good and since everything stays green here so long, gushers are nice.  They work as advertised but they are not infallible and arrow placement is still key as you know.  Mechanically, they are not bullet proof though close,  my experience.  My thought has always been if it aint broke don't fix it, but it sounds like you want to swap from 3blade muzzys for the same reason I did.  If you swap know what you are looking to achieve and how to go about it when you put your total setup together.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks alot

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:00 pm

I have been using the Rage 2 blades for a few years and I am very satisfied with the results .
Semper Fi !

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm

^ X2

NJ Camo Man

Postby NJ Camo Man » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:53 pm

I shoot an older compound bow and started out with the Rage 2inch 2 blade and then moveed to the 1 1/2 3 blade.  Had trouble with penetration.   20 yard shot broadside and only went half way into the rib cadge.  There is no way that shot should not have been a pass through.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 am

The sole reason for the rise in mechanical broadheads is the speed at which a lot of newer compounds shoot. As with anything high performance, there's a tradeoff, and the tradeoff here is getting that ultra-fast arrow to fly right. Many shooters of these fast bows just flat cannot get a regular broadhead to fly right, even when they go down to 85 grains. Many compound shooters have a speed fetish, and make it the priority of their shooting equipment, even at the expense of mass and broadhead performance.

Using the excuse that they "kill better" is bogus, because for one if you are using a head that has a larger cutting area to make up for your inablilty to place the arrow where it should go in the first place, then you shouldn't be bowhunting period. ANY modern, SHARP fixed blade head will kill any whitetail deer on the planet if YOU can put it where it has to go.

Anything with moving parts has a 100% more likely rate of failure than one without moving parts. Not that they fail all the time, or even infrequently...but the reality is that compared to a fixed blade head, THEY WILL. It's a mathematical reality.

So then.....knowing this, then the ONLY reason anyone would choose to use one, is for the tradeoff of performance, which is fine if that's your choice. The "make a bigger hole" (which they can do....if they open) factor is merely icing on the cake, IF the arrow performs right in the first place.

I've often wondered just WHAT level of failure most mechanical head shooters are willing to accept before they abandon them? One lost deer? Two? Or is speed SO important that some "collateral damage" is acceptable?

Speaking for myself, I shoot the broadhead type I will be using all summer on 3-D targets, and shooting them into dirt banks. If they don't hold up, then I don't use them hunting. That's my "test track". If I shot a deer with a broadhead, and it failed on ANY level, then that'd be the last time I ever used it. My tolerance level is ZERO. That said, that's never happened to me, and I like to think that my "test track" does a pretty good job of weeding out the "weak".

But mechanical head shooters don't do this. They shoot a practice head that doesn't open, simply for the aerodynamics of the CLOSED head, for the bow tuning. Simply put, their "test track" is live animal flesh. I have to also believe that for some of them it would take MORE than one or two lost deer before they even give any thought to the idea that it just might be the head, because arrow speed trumps everything, and they have so much invested in them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:32 am

Well said, WW. I couldn't have said it better, or agree more.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

ToddRvs

Postby ToddRvs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:54 am

I have heard of the Rage broadhead and infact my hunting buddy uses them.  He killed a nice deer last year and the whole it made was quite large.  It failed to penetrat the scapula (shoulder of the deer) on the other side though.  It killed the deer but made for a long tracking process I know because I helped him track it.  I used Thunderhead 125 for years and they ser ved me well.  I now use a fixed broadhead like Bear Archery Super Razor head and I also use hand shipped stone broadheads as I shoot traditional equipment now.  I have to tell you the Bear super razor makes the biggest hole I have ever seen.  Best of luck
Keep It Safe
Leave it like you found it
Pick a spot
and bring home your trophy

http://bowhunting.blog.com/

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 pm

scottflesher

What was the result of you trying the Rage broadhead?  I've exchanged some thoughts with WW in an other thread, and we both respectfully came to the agreement that it is shot placement.  I did favor the "extra" cutting diameter.  Mechanicals, in theory, have the possibility to fail......, I've NEVER have had problem with my Rages.  I did shoot Muzzy broadheads before, an excellent product. 

Getting off course here...., so what is your final "verdict": Muzzy vs Rages??????
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting