if you could have any of these brands of bows, what would you have?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
retiredsailor

RE: if you could have any of these brands of bows, what would you have?

Postby retiredsailor » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 pm

I have an older (17 years or so) XI. I believe that they were bought out by someone, not sure. PSE, maybe? Love this bow even though I realize that there are several generations of technological improvements since I bought my XI. Still shoot aluminum arrows, even though my son keeps urging me to switch to carbon. Last year, I experienced several misses from my tree stand and could not understand what was wrong. I start shooting in July and try to be well prepared when the season comes in. Went home and started to shoot and arrows were flying all over the place. Upon closer inspection I found that my peep sight had slipped and was sliding back and forth a bit.
Now I'm planning on having my XI tuned up by a pro - I expect it should be getting a new string, and of course, I need the kisser, peep and all that readjusted. However, have no burning urge to buy any of the newer (and no doubt, much better) bows. And frankly, I have a ton of aluminum arrows and would hate to toss them and switch to the carbon ones. Just gonna hang on to this one and keep hunting those deer.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Alas, another XI customer!  What kind do you shoot?  I've shot an Impact and Silverhawk, and still have the Silverhawk actually.  I just bought a Bowtech this last winter.
QDM!

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Last year I shot them all.  I bought the Bowtech Admiral. I liked the Hoyt and Matthews bows also.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Hoyt. But as technology changes I have been shooting let's say cheaper manufacture bows and seeing similar results. One of my hunting buddies shoots an older Hoyt easily 10 years old and still hits 250 to 260 fps. Very impressive.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:38 am

Voted Hoyt just because.  But I like to try out as many different brands as I can when shopping around for a new bow.  I currently shoot the Hoyt Vipertech (hence my screen name).  Before that I shot a PSE Thunderbolt.  I might be getting a new bow this year though.  I'll pass the Vipertech down to my son and his bow will go to the other son who is getting his license this year. 

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Mine is a XI Impact, Myles Keller model. It has a draw weight of 60-75 lbs. Used to shoot it at 65, then backed it down to the minimum. Have had it for about 17 years or so. Had a period of some 6 years where I was unable to hunt but have now been able to hit the woods pretty often, these last 2 or 3 years.

Tell you the truth, there are indeed some very attractive bows on the market, and they claim substantially better performance then my XI, but I'm the kind of guy who hates to part with something just because something new is available. To wit: I still hunt with my Remington Model 760 30.06. That gun is somewhere around 38 or 39 years old. Still looks reasonably good and still brings home the bacon.

About the only thing that might cause me to seriously consider a new bow is the draw weight of the XI. As I get older, I'm thinking that I might be more comfortable with a lighter draw weight. It is also a bit heavy as opposed to the newer bows.

What's you honest opinion of the Bowtech and what draw weight do you usually shoot? I'm going to assume that you shoot carbon arrows, since only us old dinosaurs still use aluminum.

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:42 am

None of the above. I have my dream bow...a one of a kind voodookustom longbow. Elk antler riser, walnut limbs with red elm cores, clear glass, canebreak snake skins, antler tip overlays.

"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:00 am

Trapper, that is a beautiful bow!!!!!

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:23 am

I equate buying a bow to buying a truck/car...you do your research thoroughly, test drive them and buy the best you can afford.  I think sometimes we favor certain ones over others...for whatever reason. 
I'm partial to Hoyt and that's all I've ever owned.  I still shoot my Striker that is over 10 years old and still shoots around 260 fps and great groupings.  New string/cables, sight upgrades, rests of course over the years...but "if it aint broke, dont fix it." 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 am

ORIGINAL: retiredsailor

Mine is a XI Impact, Myles Keller model. It has a draw weight of 60-75 lbs. Used to shoot it at 65, then backed it down to the minimum. Have had it for about 17 years or so. Had a period of some 6 years where I was unable to hunt but have now been able to hit the woods pretty often, these last 2 or 3 years.

Tell you the truth, there are indeed some very attractive bows on the market, and they claim substantially better performance then my XI, but I'm the kind of guy who hates to part with something just because something new is available. To wit: I still hunt with my Remington Model 760 30.06. That gun is somewhere around 38 or 39 years old. Still looks reasonably good and still brings home the bacon.

About the only thing that might cause me to seriously consider a new bow is the draw weight of the XI. As I get older, I'm thinking that I might be more comfortable with a lighter draw weight. It is also a bit heavy as opposed to the newer bows.

What's you honest opinion of the Bowtech and what draw weight do you usually shoot? I'm going to assume that you shoot carbon arrows, since only us old dinosaurs still use aluminum.

Yup, that's the exact one I still have.  I sold my Silverhawk quite a few years ago.  In hindsight I prob. should have kept it. 

I couldn't agree more about these bows though, even though like you said there are some 'nicer' bows on the market.  I'll keep this one till the day that I die....I may even let my nephew shoot it and give it to him if he seems interested in taking it up.  Love to pass it on to blood...

Ya, I shoot carbon.  When I first started hunting way back when (20+ years ago) I really don't think carbon was on the scene.  I have been shooting carbon though for some time now, and love it.  Compared to aluminum, you can't beat it.  Strength, arrow speed, etc...It's touch to switch but I'd recommend it or at least give it a try. 

I'm shooting #70 with my bowtech right now.  I really don't think speed is all what it's hyped up to be though....Arrow placement and taking good shots towers over that.  I have a buddy that hurt his shoulder last year and had to lower his weight.  I think he was shooting at or under #50.  He had no problem harvesting a nice buck with that weight.  Course, your shot selections as far as how far you shoot gets slim when you don't shoot that much weight, but sometime when it comes to bowhunting it doesn't matter, right?! [:D]
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting