if you could have any of these brands of bows, what would you have?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
retiredsailor

RE: if you could have any of these brands of bows, what would you have?

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:26 am

buckhunter21 I have to agree with you. Most shots I have ever attempted were around 20 yards or less, although I have pins sighted out to 30. Believe I've read several times in D&DH magazine that the average deer taken with bow was around 18 yards.

Appreciate your recommendation regarding carbon arrows. May give them a try. Will let you know.

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ORIGINAL: retiredsailor

Mine is a XI Impact, Myles Keller model. It has a draw weight of 60-75 lbs. Used to shoot it at 65, then backed it down to the minimum. Have had it for about 17 years or so. Had a period of some 6 years where I was unable to hunt but have now been able to hit the woods pretty often, these last 2 or 3 years.

Tell you the truth, there are indeed some very attractive bows on the market, and they claim substantially better performance then my XI, but I'm the kind of guy who hates to part with something just because something new is available. To wit: I still hunt with my Remington Model 760 30.06. That gun is somewhere around 38 or 39 years old. Still looks reasonably good and still brings home the bacon.

About the only thing that might cause me to seriously consider a new bow is the draw weight of the XI. As I get older, I'm thinking that I might be more comfortable with a lighter draw weight. It is also a bit heavy as opposed to the newer bows.

What's you honest opinion of the Bowtech and what draw weight do you usually shoot? I'm going to assume that you shoot carbon arrows, since only us old dinosaurs still use aluminum.

Yup, that's the exact one I still have.  I sold my Silverhawk quite a few years ago.  In hindsight I prob. should have kept it. 

I couldn't agree more about these bows though, even though like you said there are some 'nicer' bows on the market.  I'll keep this one till the day that I die....I may even let my nephew shoot it and give it to him if he seems interested in taking it up.  Love to pass it on to blood...

Ya, I shoot carbon.  When I first started hunting way back when (20+ years ago) I really don't think carbon was on the scene.  I have been shooting carbon though for some time now, and love it.  Compared to aluminum, you can't beat it.  Strength, arrow speed, etc...It's touch to switch but I'd recommend it or at least give it a try. 

I'm shooting #70 with my bowtech right now.  I really don't think speed is all what it's hyped up to be though....Arrow placement and taking good shots towers over that.  I have a buddy that hurt his shoulder last year and had to lower his weight.  I think he was shooting at or under #50.  He had no problem harvesting a nice buck with that weight.  Course, your shot selections as far as how far you shoot gets slim when you don't shoot that much weight, but sometime when it comes to bowhunting it doesn't matter, right?! [:D]

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:27 am

Hoyt Alpha Max 35
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

camel

Postby camel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 am

been shootin PSE since I was 17 and have had zero problems(knock on wood).Just got the new Bow Madness and am lovin it.
Draw,Anchor,Aim,Release=Game Over

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:56 am

Ok guys before you go spend a ton of money on a NEW bow, go to the 3d range and take a listen to the bows being shot; if they are loud then you don't want that bow!!!
Now take a look at the bowtech guardian they are the quietest bows out there with tons of speed, I dare you to ask anyone that has heard em!!!

You can buy guardian used for around $450.00 loaded, and you will have a fast second shot if need be.
if you only plan on buying the bow for 3D and not hunting then sure why not buy the faster loud bow, but really there is no point on having a fast loud bow when hunting.

You never know when you will need to make a second shot because of misjudgments and having that loud bow is not going to give you that chance!!!

this is the summary of a review shooting First, this bow was extremely easy to tune out of the box. With very little effort it was shooting bullet holes through paper. The most striking features of this bow are it's absolute silence and lack of recoil. When the shot is made there is little to no vibration in the hand and the only noise you hear is the whoosh of air in the vanes of the arrow and then the arrow hitting the target. While there is a hole for a front mounted stabilizer, this bow shoots with so little recoil I see no need for a stabilizer.

The draw is smooth throughout the draw cycle and there is a comfortable valley at the end of the draw giving you the full benefit of the 80% let off which this bow is equipped with. My biggest complaint about this bow is all the arrows I've busted up because my groups were so close together.

In summary my rating for this bow on a scale from 1 to 10
Draw Cycle smoothness and feel: 8.5
Noise and vibration: 9.5
Easy of tuning and customization: 9
Bow efficiency (speed out vs. draw weight in): 9.5
Bow forgiveness: 10

Hope this helps you!!
John

osceolaslayer

Postby osceolaslayer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:54 pm

High end, Try the Bowtech Destroyer 350. Shoot it, and your happy butt will be mowing your neighbors lawn to get the money.

Mid-Level, Hoyt's Hawk series Powerhawk, or better, Turbohawk. You could even stick your neck out and get the Bone Collector Edition.

Lower End, Bear's making some of the best bows for the money.

IMHO.

Also, check out ebay man, you can find air raids or something that will do the job for you for years on end for a very reasonable price. Give it until May or June, and fewer people are buying bows during those months, you may get an even better deal. just FYI.
OSCEOLA SLAYER
DEERFEAR.COM

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Hay Powell1120,
My dad bought me the PSE stinger two years ago. I think it shoots very smooth and fast. The bow is very quite and accurate, and it is very durable. I realy like it!

B1gbuck

Postby B1gbuck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:04 am

[size="3"][font="arial"]My choice  is none of the above.Mathews is my choice .And my most recent acquisition is the Z7."Catch Us If You Can".[/font][/size]

DoubleDropTine

Postby DoubleDropTine » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 pm

I have a Onedia Tomcat bow and have used it for over a 2 decades with occasional bow string replacement and this bow is still the quietest bow I've ever heard.

I know they're pricey but if you've never shot one find someone that has one and give it a pull. If price is holding you back look for a GOOD one listed in sites such as craigslist, ebay, etc...and I believe you'll be extremely happy.

PhillipW66

Postby PhillipW66 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 am

I'm shooting the new 2010 fred bear attack, and couldnt be happier with my bow, smooth draw, very fast at 340fps, and very little vibration i wouldnt change for anything.
BearAtkMan

wisbowhntr

Postby wisbowhntr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:50 pm

I love shooting my BowTech Tribute. This is one quiet,smooth shooting bow I have ever shot so far.I also used to have a Oneida Aeroforce bow and that bow was very quiet too and I didnt even have anything on the string to quiet it down.Only bad thing about that bow was it was heavy and it was a long bow tip to tip ( 47"s ). I also still have my old Darton 400 MX as my back up bow and had that bow since the mid 80s.I never had any problems with that bow.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting