Hoyt Maxis vs. Mathews Z7

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
scottflesher

Hoyt Maxis vs. Mathews Z7

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Anyone know much about the new Hoyt Maxis or the Mathews Z7?
I have a Reflex Express that I purchased in 2000. It's a good bow and we've been thru alot together, some good some bad.
I like the look of the parellel limbs and the improved speed compared to a 10 year old bow, but then again I'm not sure how many FPS I'm shooting.
Are either of these bows worth the price? fter 10 years is it time to upgrade to the new technology?

Randy3003

RE: Hoyt Maxis vs. Mathews Z7

Postby Randy3003 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 am

Sorry don't have a clue but I have a bear attack (about same money) and man is it awesome.  Super smooth and very fast, near 350 ft/sec.  I absolutely love this bow and its real quiet.  You should shoot one before you decide.  Bass pro shop has them for $999, but there's a guy I bought mine sells them for $549 completely set up.  Try it at bass pro and if you want to buy one I'll give you his address.
One well placed arrow can save a lot of unnecessary exercise

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:39 pm

thanks Randy.
I have a Reflex Express that I purchased in 2000. It's a smooth bow that I like, but I don't want to get too far behind the technology curve. My bow is 39 inches axle to axle and while I've heard good things about longer bows (increased forgivness, etc) I haven't shot one of the shorter bows to determine if it's worth spending the extra cash.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I don't know anything about the Hoyt but I just took a buddy bow shopping and he wound up taking home a Z7. He had not shot a bow since summer camp in 4th grade and he walked out of the shop shooting quarter sized groups at close range. It is a pretty amazing bow.

I shoot a Matthews S2 and I think it is much smoother than the Z7, but the Z7 has the edge in size, speed and forgiveness.

While I have not hunted with everything out there, I am of the opinion that Matthews is the very best.

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:43 pm

i love last years hoyts.but this year i don't like them.the mathews z7 is better then this years hoyt.but just shoot a darton one time, shoot the darton 3800 great bow.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:12 am

Scott,  I said on another post I went from Reflex to Bowtech.  This was couple years ago, I went in dead set I was getting either Hoyt or (help me out, who makes Speed Force, drawing a blank here).  Anyway, shot quite a few bows and just fell in love with airborne 101.   With the technology out there now I think it is pretty hard to buy a bow that is not outstanding. I would not worry about the brand name.  

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:06 pm

I had a bear bow for years and never shot any other bows and one day I heard a guy say if you shoot a Matthews you will get out your checkbook. I did not believe him but I did go out last fall and shoot all the new bows and wound up taking out my checkbook and buying my first Matthews bow. I do not regret it.
If you can find it you can kill it.

B1gbuck

Postby B1gbuck » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:19 am

[size="4"][font="arial"]I just bought the Mathews Z7 two months ago and I can not be more pleased .I had a Mathews Outback that was five years old and I was happy with it.But with the new technology I was intrigued about the Z7.As soon as I tried it at the archery shop I was sold.It is very fast,smooth and very forgiving.I was shooting a pie plate at 30 yards with no problem.I also had the Mathews Drop Zone arrow rest installed on the Z7.This helped to keep the speed up on the Z7.I am using the Carbon Express 350 Maxima Hunter Arrows with Blazer Vanes.You will find that this bow is hard to beat."Catch Us If You Can ".[/font][/size]

John Beckworth

Return to Archery and Bowhunting