how many stands are to many?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
scalbi

how many stands are to many?

Postby scalbi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:54 pm

hey guys

its be a while since I've written on here but I thought I'd get your expertize. I've got 4 stands up now as last year I was outside my range at my uncle's farm a dozen times. It's only 125 aches but its the only running water [flow through pond] for miles once it freezes. I have 1 permanent building and 3 ladder stands to cover all the wind directions. Just wondering if you all pack alot of locations in that tight or not?

My season opens on the 1st and I'm pumped as I have 2 tags on hand. The trail cams only showing does so far and thats fine for the 1st one as I've be out of meat since July. Any advice as to bring in a buck or two would be greatly appreciated.

scottflesher

RE: how many stands are to many?

Postby scottflesher » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:22 pm

4 stands on 125 acres, in my opinion you have room for more. Obviously terrain and other features will come into play but I've packed as many as 8-10 stands into 80 acres before. Obviously there's not always a body in the stand each time, but it keeps me mobile and keeps the deer guessing. Hunters can be patterned by deer, just the way we pattern deer. I think you could fit a few more stands on that amount of property assuming they all aren't really close together and most of the land is wooded.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Stands are like money, sex, and horsepower....you can never have too much!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:04 pm

I would say you could add more.  Our farm which is 300 we have 10 stands, a tripod, 2 ground blinds and a shooting house.  We have another 120 acres that we can hunt and we want to add more but those stands are expensive!
Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:26 pm

We have 22 sets spread over 3 places that add up to 130 acres and always have a climber and some lock-ins ready to go if needed. I think you could get away with more if you have the timber. In my opinion, the more options you have for different winds the better.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Legacy

Postby Legacy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:07 am

As long as you could benefit from more sets and the property allows you too then the choice is easy... add more stands.

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:51 am

THE NUMBER OF STAND IS UP TO YOU! NO ONE KNOWS YOUR HUNTING PROPERTY BETTER THAN YOU DO. DEPENDING ON THE LAND SETUP WILL DETERMINE THE NUMBER OF STANDS YOU CAN HAVE ON IT. I LIKE TO HAVE A BUNCH OF STANDS TO CHOOSE FROM BUT THEN YOU RUN INTO THE AGE OLD ? WHICH ONE TO SIT IN. I KIND OF MISS THE DAYS WHEN I FIRST GOT INTO HUNTING (WITH THE BOW) AND I ONLY HAD 2 STANDS TO REALLY CHOOSE FROM. BUT NOW I HAVE 1 PROPERTY THAT IS 150 ACRES THAT HAS ALMOST 10 STANDS ON IT. JUST GOT A NEW PROPERTY THIS YEAR AND ONLY HAVE 2 STANDS ON IT SO FAR BUT WITH SOME LONG RANGE SCOUTING I HAVE FOUND A COUPLE MORE SPOTS TO PUT SOME STANDS UP.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU THIS YEAR!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:35 am

As a rule, I try to hang at least one stand for every cardnal wind direction, both AM and PM. Plus I like to hang a couple of "all day" stands that will work for calm or variable winds. I also keep a couple of stick ladders in reserve so that I can move in to an area easily in mid-season.

Bottom line, you can't have too many.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:53 am

To add to that, its nice to have different stands for different winds for different times of the season. Some stands we'll sit in early and then not sit in them much after the season is open for a couple of weeks, there are some that we try to sit in only during the rut, and then there is some that are good during late season.
Options.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 am

Gee...I have 28 on 73 acres...I bow hunt..and still could think of more places...but the now 14 ground blinds take up the rest of the room[;)][:D]

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting