Using a release with velcro

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Ostermann

Using a release with velcro

Postby Ostermann » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about using a release with velcro. I have a release, Tru-Fire, that has velcro and it works great for me but is a little noisy when I pull back my bow. My questions are:
-Does anyone have a problem with noise when pulling back?
-When do you put yours on? I use a climbing tree stand and haven't found a great way to put my release on and climb without the release hitting the stand.

charlie 01

Re: Using a release with velcro

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:51 pm

I don't use a release that has velcro, nor do I know anyone that does. If I had something that produced an unwanted sound, I would search for a likeness that had no velcro. Don't put mine on till situated in stand. Just something less to fool with till your ready for it. I keep 2 with me, just in case. If by chance you drop it, you have to start all over. That noise could end up costng you a good buck. Leave nothing to chance.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Schmidt

Postby Schmidt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:40 am

I must be the dinosaur in the group! LOL, because I still prefer Velcro. Not because it is superior to a buckle, just because it is hard for me to break the habit. It can be noisy if you don't put it on until you get out in the woods, but I have never had a problem (spooking a deer) in nearly 30 years of bowhunting. It's all about personal preference, I guess. Best, Dan

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I've always used a velcro release and this year I purchased a buckle type release. Not so much for the velcro, but I wanted to upgrade to a higher performance release.
I've encountered some modest noise with the velcro release but only when i was putting it on after I was up my tree. If you're experiencing noise from the velcro as you draw, there has got to be pressure on the velcro. Obviously you'll want to use your big muscles (back & shoulder) to draw, but perhaps holding the part of your release between the velcro and trigger (on mine it's a metal tube) as you draw will stop the pressure on the velcro itself.
As for the release hitting the stand as you climb, I too have had that problem. I recommend not putting your release on until you get up the tree and get your safety belt on. As you're climbing your tree, your bows on the ground (I hope) so even if a deer came by, it's unlikely you'd have time to get your bow up and take a shot. Not to mention you woudln't have a safety harness on and repositioning yourself for a shot would be very dangerous. Of course if you prefer to climb with it on, you could always twist the wrist strap to where the release is on the outside of your hand as opposed to the palm.

Just a possible solutions.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 pm

I have only been bow hunting for 4 years but have always used a velcro release. Do not have any problem with noise when drawing or releasing. I usually have a long sleeve shirt on and I take the metal part of the release and fold it back under my shirt sleeve. I put it on when I enter the woods to get to my stand.
Doug

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 pm

I use a velcro release, I put it on before I leave, and tuck it into my sleeve to prevent it from banging on anything. I haven't had any issues of it making any noise when I draw. I prefer the velcro because I just can't get comfortable with a buckle type release, Either too loose or too tight.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Schmidt wrote:I must be the dinosaur in the group! LOL, because I still prefer Velcro. Not because it is superior to a buckle, just because it is hard for me to break the habit. It can be noisy if you don't put it on until you get out in the woods, but I have never had a problem (spooking a deer) in nearly 30 years of bowhunting. It's all about personal preference, I guess. Best, Dan

I agree with T-Rex..... :D ...i Shoot a velcro/ tru-fire release,and have had no problems. I actually have 3 releases. One is wrist type that is too long...# 2 is a nice wrist type with magents and a clip...[thats my back-up one]...and # 3 is ole trusty....i found a tru-fire release while scouting some woods..it looked to be a few yrs old...i modified it so the trigger only goes to the middle of the index finger...i have been using this the last few yrs and it works excellent.

I also turn the wrist release around backwards [so the mechanism is on the the back of my hand ] than swivel it towards the wrist and like many others ...i than tuck it under a layer of clothing and undo it once i climb to my hunting height.You can muffle the strap a little ,but i prefer to put mine on as i leave the truck /suited up for the hunt.

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:19 pm

I only use releases with a buckle. That way I know it goes on the same way everytime I use it. No adjustment needed.

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm

I only use releases with a buckle. That way I know it goes on the same way everytime I use it. No adjustment needed.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting