Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Wolf River Hunter

Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:15 pm

I usually hang stands around July and I've been pacing off distances and marking those distances with sticks. Looks kinda funny from my stand seeing the 20 and 30 yard sticks surrounding my stand but they don't stand out much from the ground. When I was young and didn't know better I took 1x2's and actually wrote 20 and 30 on them and drove them into the ground around my stand. The first buck I shot was kind enough to stop right in front of one of the markers.

Legnip

RE: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby Legnip » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:55 pm

I marked one of mine this year, but typically I just estimate the distance.
From those who much is given, much is expected

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Tomorrow will be my first opportunity to hunt from my stand. I'm going to put out a few distance markers as I don't have a rangefinder.

bodetis

Postby bodetis » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:54 pm

yea, il step off 20 yards in several differeny directions, and i will take orange spray paint and put little dots at the base of the trees, it works well for me.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I use a rangefinder and range different landmarks when I get into the stand.

My dad does not have a rangefinder, he hunts mostly pines and IMO it is extremely difficult to judge distances in a pine plantation. I plan on spray painting different colors for different yardages on the pines early next spring.
His pins are green and red so I will use those colors to indicate the yardage and as an easy reference of which pin to use.
I'm thinking it should work good.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:38 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I use a rangefinder and range different landmarks when I get into the stand.

Exactly what I do. It's the best low to no impact approach to knowing distances. I'd hate to have to walk around possibly contaminating the area with scent just to know how far certain land marks are from my stand.
Dave M.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:48 am

Hey Bowtechian,
  I think that quote about insanity was credited to Einstein. It does make sense, doesn't it.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:18 am

It makes a lot of sense. I found that I was guilty of that mainly in how I hunted deer.

Not sure who first said it, but the first time I read it was in a book called "Idiot Proof Archery".
Dave M.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:03 am

Semper Fi !

wolfpack

Postby wolfpack » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:39 am

last season i put one of those range finders you glue on your pin ring from mad rivers it ranges from 20 to 40 yards perfecty. just line up the deers back and belly to the range finder and shoot the yardage .works just as good from a tree stand i dont hunt a tree stand but tried it on my 3d target from the top of my garage to see how it works for angle shots and its dead on .

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting