Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
unclebuck

Re: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby unclebuck » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:25 am

memiller wrote:Being a second year bow hunter, last year I use to mark my distances with a tree limb, rock or log. But this year a friend told me about a product called Distance Markers by ARMMZ Hunting. They are colored markers to match most pin sights, green, yellow and orange and for $20, you can pre-mark your distance using a range finder, place the markers and you are set for the hunting season. They are very visible especially in the fall, brown, dead leaves! Now I don't have to remember what limb, rock or log. I found them at http://www.ARMMZHunting.com. They get shipped out pretty quick as well! I'm a happy hunter using them and have Distance Markers at 2 of my hunting locations.

I just bought a 400ft roll of orange harzard tape from menards for 2 bucks and they have several differant colors. Now what to do with the remaining 395 feet...??

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:41 am

unclebuck wrote:
memiller wrote:Being a second year bow hunter, last year I use to mark my distances with a tree limb, rock or log. But this year a friend told me about a product called Distance Markers by ARMMZ Hunting. They are colored markers to match most pin sights, green, yellow and orange and for $20, you can pre-mark your distance using a range finder, place the markers and you are set for the hunting season. They are very visible especially in the fall, brown, dead leaves! Now I don't have to remember what limb, rock or log. I found them at http://www.ARMMZHunting.com. They get shipped out pretty quick as well! I'm a happy hunter using them and have Distance Markers at 2 of my hunting locations.

I just bought a 400ft roll of orange harzard tape from menards for 2 bucks and they have several differant colors. Now what to do with the remaining 395 feet...??

I use blaze orange marking tape for tracking wounded deer. If you use it on public land, be sure to NOT leave any of it tied to tree limbs. The warden can slap you with a littering violation.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

turkeyman

Postby turkeyman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:21 pm

I usually hang my stands the month before the opening day of bow season for deer. This is around October 6th here in Virginia. I hunt my own mountain property and my neighbors. The trees here in my area are hard wood and provide a good crop of acorn each year. There are also some perciamun and beach nuts. Even though I know most of the distances to my shot site locations, from my tree stand and ground blinds I always climb the trees and re shoot the distances. Things change year after year and what may have been good for last year may not be applicable for this year and so on. I also make maps and record the distances along with locations. This makes it possible for me to know which site will produce the best wind and temperature locations. I check the net for each days temps and 18 hour after. This will give you the information you will need to pattern deer movement according to temperature. Here in Virginia the deer have taken on there winter coats and are heavy in body from the fall feed up. The big bucks will not move in temps that will cause there body to heat up. The same goes for most other animals once the they get into there winter coats. My trail cams prove this fact and I am sure deer are just like people in some ways. Just think about it. After you dress for winter hunting you do not stay indoors. It is the same with deer. The deer are nocturnal now due to the wheather here has been in the 70 deg range. Good luck on your hunt. The turkey man. I wish to make one more point and that is that I used a archers choice range finder to get the correct ranges from my stand location. I do not use marking tape of any thing that is not natural to the surrounding. I find that any thing like that will alert the deer especially the big older bucks

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

What I do sometimes is take the little plastic holders that the Lawn Care people put at the corners of property to show that they have been sprayed . I remove the little cards and soak / wash the plastic holders in water with baking soda or Fresh Earth scent soap . I place a scent wick in the holder and put Doe Pee on it . I place wicks 20 and 20 yards from the stand .
Semper Fi !

stevenjackson

Postby stevenjackson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:24 am

I feel like it's great to at least do this at some point in time during the year. Just gives you that image in your head better.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:30 am

I have used plastic red tape in the past, but a few years ago I bought a range finder and range a few trees around me to estimate my shots. If you use this method it's important to keep reminding yourself of the distances or you will forget at he moment of truth. I changed away from the red tape due to concerns about trespassers seeing it. Lots of different ways will work.
As for marking a trail while trailing a deer I use the type of toilet paper used for septic tanks. It tends to fall apart in the rain better if I miss picking it up after finding the deer. (hopefully)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 pm

For my tree stands which are in woodland, I use a laser rangefinder on prominent tree trunks to determine ranges in several directions. I also have a ground blind at the edge of a pasture with no landmarks. For that, I walk onto the field and shoot the range back to the blind and place surveyor's flags. Since the local farmers already use these to mark off fields, the deer are used to them. I also put them in far enough in advance of the season to wash off any traces of scent.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm

I put a scent wick in one of the plastic stakes that the lawn care people leave in the yard after servicing . I place a couple 20 yards from the stand . Anything between the marker and the stand is easy enough to judge . Anything beyond , I make a guess .
Semper Fi !

bamahuntnfool

Re: RE: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby bamahuntnfool » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Goose wrote: My dad does not have a rangefinder, he hunts mostly pines and IMO it is extremely difficult to judge distances in a pine plantation. I plan on spray painting different colors for different yardages on the pines early next spring.
His pins are green and red so I will use those colors to indicate the yardage and as an easy reference of which pin to use.
I'm thinking it should work good.

Good idea!

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting