DISEASE ON DEER

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bowmaniac

DISEASE ON DEER

Postby bowmaniac » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 pm

This year i got picked to hunt on a state park only 25 hunters were allowed and I was one of the lucky ones my concern is the DNR was called to shot a deer that was acting wird, he later said that a disease is runnning on a deer around our area and he wants all the heads of the deer killed to run a test on them. Has anyone is running into this issue?

kellory

Re: DISEASE ON DEER

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Here in Ohio, we have a testing lab to send the heads to, if the deer is suspect. In our area, they were worried about cronic wasting disease, I believe. similar to Mad Cow disease. I don't believe we have had any found, but nearby states did.

What I was told was, it is a brain disease, and while the meat was ok to process, they said not to eat it until the head had been cleared at the lab. I do not know anyone who has sent in a head, but I read about the lab.

It might be for the same reason for your deer, or it might not. I would get the straight info. from DNR, if I was you.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting