Arrow Preferences

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
doublehtech

Arrow Preferences

Postby doublehtech » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am

What companies or types of shafts for bowhunting do you guys recommend? Or what do you usually use?

Shaft weight?
Length?
Brand?
Material?
Shaft diameter?
What you are hunting for?

Any info you can give will help. Im trying to make something for an arrow in tech class for my senior project so any information to help me figure out what i should base my project off of will help.

Deebz

Re: Arrow Preferences

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

Most people who are bowhunting these days are using carbon-fiber arrow shafts. When I started most people used aluminum, but you really only get 1 shot with an aluminum arrow at anything other than a target... When hunting, the aluminum shaft will most likely end up bent after the shot. Some people who prefer the more traditional approach in their equipment are still using wood shafts, which are obviously more likely to flat out break when shot into an animal.

As far as weight/length/diameter, that all really depends on the weapon. Being fired from a vertical bow compared to a crossbow, the shafts are radically different. Even the different vertical bow construction with varying draw length (based on the individual person shooting the bow) and draw weight (which results in how much energy the bow is putting into the arrow) will dictate a wide range of measurements.

When you start talking about brand there are other factors to consider (also largely based on the individual)... ie: cost (usually the first thing I look at), personal experiences, brand loyalty, advertising success...

This is my take on your questions with regard to hunting whitetail deer (with the full expectation that I may shoot a rabbit/squirrel/coyote etc.. as the opportunity presents itself while in the woods)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

doublehtech

Postby doublehtech » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 am

Thank you, that helps quite a bit. Are there any companies that you prefer? Or do you always just go by price?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am

I usually buy Carbon Express arrows...

They really are the cheapest arrows I've found that have performed well for me. I wouldn't use anything in my hunting endeavors that I didn't feel was up to the task, even if it was dirt cheap.

I'm pretty far away from any kind of decent archery shop also, so the fact that Wal-Mart carries the Carbon Express brand plays a part in why I use that brand
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

KSWhitetailer

Postby KSWhitetailer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:25 pm

All good discussion here. For the last 6 years or so, I've shot Carbon Express Maximas (350 spine weight) at 28". I've had good success with them. They are solid, dependable arrows. This year I changed bows and arrows correspondingly...now shooting an Easton Bloodline (400 weight) at the same length. They are a smaller diameter than the CE arrows, but have quite a bit of punch. I've taken 3 deer with them this year and had pass throughs on all. They are a tad cheaper than the CE brand, but I've seen no decrease in performance.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting