Crossbow sight - too shiny?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
w4sar

Crossbow sight - too shiny?

Postby w4sar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am

Hi All-

I had purchased a Barnett Jackal Crossbow a couple of year ago, which comes with a 3 dot illuminated sight. Have not yet been successful with it, because I've been busted several times before the deer came into range (30 yards with the mechanical heads I use). I strongly suspect it is due to the anti-reflective coating on the front lens of the sight, it is bright and silvery like a mirror.

While rifle hunting, I've had deer come as close or closer without detection, my closest take with a rifle was about 20 feet.

Any suggestions as to how to remove this coating? I also find it darkens the field a bit too much, I end up losing that last half-hour of legal daylight after sundown.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

Deebz

Re: Crossbow sight - too shiny?

Postby Deebz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

my wife's crossbow has a Red Hot illuminated scope designed for crossbows... no reflective coating and dead nuts accurate out to 40 yards

no idea how to remove a coating... I personally would look at replacing the sight with something and then try to sell the old sight as is...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Re: Crossbow sight - too shiny?

Postby Sierra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 pm

I concur with Deebz. Better to get a new sight. I wouldn't try to remove the coating, even with something innocuous like "Oops!" cleaner, it might not even work, and maybe leave a residue, since it's oily.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Return to Archery and Bowhunting