Controlled deer feeder

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
talltexan

Controlled deer feeder

Postby talltexan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Has anyone seen the utube video showing the Prime Time deer feeder. This feeder feeds in a trough away from hogs and varmits and closes a gate to the trough at times controlled by the owner. Go to youtube and search " prime time deer feeder ". Would like to hear opinions.

kellory

Re: Controlled deer feeder

Postby kellory » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You could alter most feeders to do this, by just adding a PVC barrel to the bottom of your feeder.
By in closing the spinner plate, and cutting.large openings in the lower half of the barrel, you could easily deliver your feed to a feeding pan in the bottom of the barrel.
Picture a barrel three foot tall, and a diameter of say 20". With two or three holes of About a foot or more, starting about two inches above the bottom edge (this will leave a pan shape in the bottom).
Feeders are timed, or programmed already. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

DSCN1568.jpg
DSCN1568.jpg (9.33 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
DSCN1568.jpg
DSCN1568.jpg

(Sorry about the duplicate pics)

I converted my automatic feeder to a gravity type with this modification. The metal plates keep the squirrels from sitting on the end. After removing the electronic spinner, the top end bolts to the bottom the the feeder after holes are drilled to except the bolts.
Also, modified the end of the tube where the corn comes out by cutting two slots to allow it to be bent after holding it in boiling water for a few moments. I have it set up so that the corn dispenser is about 32 inches from the ground.
I got tired of the batteries going dead.
Attachments
DSCN1569.jpg
DSCN1569.jpg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
DSCN1567.jpg
DSCN1567.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

talltexan

Postby talltexan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 pm

You are right, there are a lot of feeders like that. They dont have a door that locks them out of the corn during night time which makes them eat only during daylight hours or prime hunting times. In Texas, the deer feed at night and eat all the corn either on the ground or in the feeding tube. Being able to time the gate opening for feeding I see as something to save feed being eaten at night which could cut our feed bill in half or better. Will install one and let all know how it works.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:48 pm

talltexan wrote:. They dont have a door that locks them out of the corn during night time which makes them eat only during daylight hours or prime hunting times. In Texas, the deer feed at night and eat all the corn either on the ground or in the feeding tube. Being able to time the gate opening for feeding I see as something to save feed being eaten at night which could cut our feed bill in half or better. Will install one and let all know how it works.

Good point about the feeding at night. We saw one doe feeding during the day last year. All the trail camera pictures of deer were at night. Lots of turkeys eat the corn, but hunting them is illegal with bait. Consequently, we only hunt turkeys in the spring with no corn on the ground.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting