rangefinders

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
prohunter

RE: rangefinders

Postby prohunter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:58 pm

You should try that new leupold bow mounted laser rangefinder. It mounts to the bow so as long as you can point bow at the deer you will allways know yardage no looking threw a tiny hole to see yardage readings ,because it has didital read out on the back. I am getting one for my crossbow , i think its a great idea ,u can check yardage even if the deer is looking at you. there 299 on the net
Jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Proline

Postby Proline » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:17 am

I would love to try one of those Leupolds sometime.  I have seen the ads in several magazines.  Not sure I want to add another 10oz to my already heavy bow.  I just wonder if having one would be another possible distraction to contend with the shot presents itself. Also note they are not legal in all states.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 am

If you go to explosive tip arrows you can be off by 10 yds or so , ... no need for a range finder.

Actually a friend of mine came up with a great idea. I have 4 sight pins, but only use 2 (a 10 and a 20) . His idea was to set the other 2 pins at spots where the deers body width(top of back to bottom of belly) would be the distance between top pin and the 4th pin for something at 15 yds, and top pin to 3rd pin would be 20 yds. Now not all deer are the same size, but it would be close enough. We set it with his 3D , and then I used it on my (different 3D) Worked slick I'm telling you.... And I still got them batteries....

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:17 am

I have the Nikon ProStaff 440 I got just before they came out with the 550. Works fine for what I need. Did`nt like the Bushnell to well.
I don`t kill innocet animals, just the ones that look guilty.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:53 am

I believe I have the Leupold RX-600 Range Finder...?It works great and I usually range off different spots/distances while I'm in my stands then when a Deer is close I have a good idea already how far off they are and I just aim my Bow,set the yardage pin on them and shoot!My range finder doeasn't have the special feature for when I'm up high in a tree to calculate the difference in the angled shots but I can aim a little higher or lower depending on how high up I am sitting.I also Rifle Hunt so it will work great then when I hunt out of a ground blind or open fields!

Michigander

Postby Michigander » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:22 am

I have the Leupold with the TBR (true ballistic range) feature for bow or rifle. It's palm size, light weight and easy to operate. The TBR, thermometer, etc are all way more than I need but it's nice to know it's there if I ever should decide to use it. Traded in my 'ol bushnell that I wasn't overly impressed with. The bushnell was one of the very first models out. I'm sure they've improved with time / technology.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:18 pm

The Bushnell VLRII Arc ranger finder is on it's way....all new to me always shot instinctive before ...but now I'm shooting with sights and pins and just pulling up and knowing...I'm finding a tad more difficult...thus the purchase

arkansas bob

Postby arkansas bob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks for replying everybody, I have ordered the Leupold RX-750 TBR seems like the one that fits. it has 3 settings for arrow/bolt drop where the others did not (least what I was able to find) Bow season opens this coming sat. here in arkansas, hope it cools off some. Good luck, good hunting!
"Freedom of speech is ultra important so stupid people will make their stupid statements so we know how stupid they are." -Ted Nugent

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:09 am

Good luck ....ab....actually mine arrived and it has the archery mode and many other features....you'll love that in yours....I was surprised at how small and light weight they are...... I had tape measured my distances from my target and it was right on the money!!....no more pacing things off at the tree stand..... wow I realize now I passed on shots I really coulda shoulda taken...in bow and gun...Happy ..Safe hunting this year..

easports

Postby easports » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:53 am

I'm also in the market for a second range finder. I'll give the old range finder to my son and pick up another one for myself. I was looking at the Bushnell 1000 but many of you all did not like it. ms, you mentioned that you just got the Leupold? I'm looking for something that not to complicated.

You like this one so far?

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting