Tuning a Cam & 1/2 Hoyt?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Mac

Tuning a Cam & 1/2 Hoyt?

Postby Mac » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:27 am

Hey guys,
Just wondering what it would take to tune my Hoyt?
I've never tuned it before. Never needed a reason to I guess, shoots like a champ and the arrows fly straight. I've had the bow for about 6-7 years and haven't changed the strings or cables either. Lol
Probably a little past due. They still look good tho- I take care of them so they'll last.
Anyways, speaking to an someone that is not a bow smith.
What advise would you give me?

Do the work youself and learn something...
Take it to a shop and pay the $100 to let them do it...
BTW, the people who run the local, and only, bow shop around here are donkey holes! "They know it all, and everyone else knows nothing!" type of people. And they make you feel that way.
I don't mind "not knowing everything" but I am willing to learn!
Anyways, that's another story...

My bow is a Hoyt Viper Tech (Compound)
Camand a 1/2
Great bow, but hind site is 20/20...
Quote: "Real men hunt with fly swatters!" - me... lol

Walking Crow

RE: Tuning a Cam & 1/2 Hoyt?

Postby Walking Crow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:52 am

OK Bud Here you go. Print out this tuning guide from Easton. everything you need to know is here.
 http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf
Wwalking Crow

scottflesher

RE: Tuning a Cam & 1/2 Hoyt?

Postby scottflesher » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm

mac,
I had my 10 year old reflex refitted with new cables and string this year. My stock (yes stock) cables and string was good but I didn't know how overdue they were. I'm not here to advertise or solicit business for anyone, but I purchased vapor trails products and they were pretty sweet. Could get custom colors and it's pretty easy to figure out what you need based off their website. I highly recommend a new string and cables.

I had them installed at a local bow shop as I didn't have a bow press. I watched the installation and it seemed fairly simple. Where I would have screwed up my set up, was re-installing the D-loop for my release and re-installing my peep. I'm sure I would have installed it at a different angle and then wondered why I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting