whisker biscuits

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
deerslayer333

whisker biscuits

Postby deerslayer333 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me when to replace their whisker biscuits with a new one. This will be the third season I've shot with one and I'm wondering if it needs replaced because I am hitting in different spots every time I shoot but i still get good groups. I didn't have this problem before the last two years or when I had a TKO drop rest. I also had my cams changed and a string splitter peep put in and new cables and strings installed. I've shot it plenty to get the stretch out and the peep is solid so I'm confused and frustrated as to why I'm constantly moving my pins. I don't know if it's me or the rest. Any suggestions? Oh I also switched from 4" duravanes to the 2" Fuzion(?) vanes on the advice of the local pro shop and I can tell you that they really make the whiskers crisscross alot. Could this be causing my issue? Any help would be appreciated.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Goose

RE: whisker biscuits

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:32 pm

It could be but if you are getting good groups in different areas I would look at your anchor and form first. It seems like that may be the problem. I would say that if its a mechanical problem (your bow or parts) it would be all over.
As always, this is just a guess.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks Goose. I'll try to be more aware of how I'm anchoring and see if that helps.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Duder

Postby Duder » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

yup, I'd have to agree with Goose, again. If you are getting good groups but in different spots every time you shoot, it would seem to be an issue of anchor point consistency.

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:23 am

Personal opinion...when to change the bisquit would have been the day you decided to put it on....not a fan :-)

But really, the guys are right, it's probably more a matter of getting used to all the changes and being consistent rather than anything mechanical.

The only mechanical issue is the one you have noticed...the 2" vanes I do believe are slightly taller off the arrow shaft than the 4" vanes are. This extra drag through the bisquit might be having a small bit of effect on the arrow flight?

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:12 pm

I have shot probably 1000 shots through mine and it is still fine, going on 4th year with it. So I imagine it should be good for a while. I am waiting to notice a lot more play in my arrow while it sits in the hole or not grouping well.....on a side note, keep checking the small set screws that lock the biscuit into the frame, mine loosen every so ofter, causing a vibration noise that is annoying, but has not affected my accuracy! Love the biscuit, can't imagine ever useing another type..........good luck with you season!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 am

I liked my bisquit as well. Had it for 5 seasons with no issues.  like vermont says, I tightened ALL my screws before the season starts, as some will inherently loosen with use.  HOwever, I did see excessive vain wear and if I get a bad enough arrow with scalloped vains I have to replace the vanes  :( Subsequently, I switched and moved to the same concept, but with a more open approach: The Octane Hostage Pro rest.  It's phenomenol I must say.  No wear, great holding, saves on vains, is queiter.  Just my .02 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

smitty1hunter

Postby smitty1hunter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I cant imagine getting a tight group in one spot then another group in another spot and it being the rest, unless its loose like someone else had mentioned . I would think it would be off in one direction or just all over the place. I have had mine on for four years on two different bows with no problems. Great hunting rest in my opinion. I like the concept of the Octane but was told by my set up guy they were harder to tune and he preferred the WB. I'm sure if you get it set up right it would be a good rest and I like the concept, but if it ain't broke... I'm shooting 2" Blazers and they fly great.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Although I'm not a fan of W.B. rests, I think your problem started when you switched to Fusion vanes. Fusions are a very stiff, tuff vane, which is why I shoot them. When shooting them through your rest, there's little to no give in the vane like you had when you were using Duravanes, which forces the wiskers to do all the moving. I'm guessing your vanes are at least offset, which is probably why your seeing the wiskers crisscross after shooting.

You might want to try fletching a couple of your arrows the way they were to see if it's arrow problems or possibly human error.
Dave M.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:10 am

I also agree with Goose, should like a mechanical problem. Maybe something got bumped. I've been shooting with my biscuit for 7 years and only replaced the insert once. Because I went to smaller diameter arrows.  I like the blazers the best, they work great with the biscuit. I also like the Fusion vanes 2.25" like Bowtechian mentioned.
If an arrow is suspected of not flying true, the best way I've found to check it is to put it on your spin tester and see if it spins true.

Good luck to you

The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

Return to Archery and Bowhunting