Pop up blinds question

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Patriot

Pop up blinds question

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:41 am

My hunting area is very flat and I think I'll use pop up blinds more often this year.

The area is also very windy, so I'd rather not leave the blinds out overnight.  I've had them blow away in the past.

So....question:

Will the deer spook if I don't leave the blind up ahead of time for them to get used to? 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PrairieShadow

RE: Pop up blinds question

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 am

I think this depends one each individual deer. but id say more often than not, your gunna be ok.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 pm

This will be my first year using them as well. From what I have read by Steve Bartylla and other mag. articles it is best to leave them up but in the real world (trespassers and the like) they cost to much to leave up in alot of places. For those situations they recommend "brushing" it in as much as possible using stuff that is natural to the area.
The deer seem to spook if they come around a corner and boom theres the blind in their face.
I think if you blend it in with the surroundings ie. under a pine tree or whatever most deer will not spook.
Another thing I've read that if you are gonna need to use it in an open field your best off just setting it up in the middle where the deer can see it for a long ways off. I think the example Steve used is: how often do you see a deer blowing at a new hay bale out in a field.
One more thing....they stated that it's hard to get one not to stick out on a field edge because because it's rather obvious that it doesn't belong there.

I'm looking forward to trying my groundblind, it should be a neat and different experience. I'm thinking that I too will be taking it down after each use. Unfortunately it's hard to trust people nowadays and if you don't have a great big chunk of private land it will be to tempting for some.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Last year while turkey hunting I set up my blind early and waited, turkeys came in without any fear, but the only deer I saw was extremely cautious. It knew the blind did not belong there. The deer peered through brush, around tree's and stared close to 30 mins. at me in it. Even though it was 20 yards away, I would not have had a clean shot if I was out to shoot a deer.
My recomendation would be to leave it out for a couple weeks to get the deer used to it being there. My experience with the deer on my land shows them to have gotten used to it after a week or 2.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:31 pm

If at all possible leave it up so they can get used to it. I did'nt camo mine with any natural vegetation but put it under a big cedar tree and left it out all year. Another thought... the interior of my blinds are black so I wear black clothes head to toe when I use mine.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I have 1 pop up blind and my uncle has 3. He uses them all the time and I use them once in a while. We leave ours up all season long. I leave my windows open the way I keep them to hunt, he closes his. We have 3 doghouse blinds and the zippers are kind of noisy. It is best to not open all the windows all the way up so you cant be seen inside it.

Another thing I would recommend, depending on what type blind you get and IF you decide to leave it up for a period of time, is that we use microphone boom stands that have been modified some for a shooting rest. When heavy snow hits it will sometimes collapse the blind so when Im done hunting (and theres snow or its going to snow) I take the mic stand and put it up to the roof to give the bind that extra support for when snow falls on it. Im sure the better quality and more $$$ blinds can handle heavy snow much better.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:40 pm

I have bought a few of the inexpensive pop up blinds at Dick's sporting Goods Stores when they had them on sale . Instead of using the crappy stakes that come with them I buy a pack of 4 for $2 at WalMart ( they are 10" long and look like huge spikes with plastic tabs on the end ) .
Semper Fi !

MT_Bowhunter

Postby MT_Bowhunter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:01 am

I have the Ameristep Doghouse Blind and really like it alot.  One area I do leave it up, as it is deep and very private with no trespassers.  In another area that I use it, you just have to set up and brush your blind.  When the deer usually have spooked, it was too late and they are DRT 

>>----THWACK---->

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:06 am

Thanks for the input.  I may just try it and see what happens.

I'm planning to get a couple of the Dream Season hub style blinds.  Anyone have a link to some good deals?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Return to Archery and Bowhunting