Whats your mind set when practicing?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
msbadger

Whats your mind set when practicing?

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:39 am

Well practice is fun but .... I am the only one shooting at my house...the kids live in other areas...So I have a couple of 3-D and I set up a chair and a cut log.... then I have a trailer I stand on...so I can be in differant positions as in hunting ...I also stash a small 3-D out by a stand I don't use during season much......Well the mind set ? comes in here...When I get ready to shoot...I take the time to envision that once in a life time buck...I practice my breathing and if turned away from target...I'll slowly turn and try to picture that buck...saying man this is your only chance...so on ..so forth before drawing and shooting...when sitting I'll place milk jugs around and picture turkeys.....ANY HOW what do you guys do?

Woods Walker

RE: Whats your mind set when practicing?

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:57 am

I shoot a recurve like you do, and have a dual method of practice.

First is what I call my "form practice". That's where I stand relatively close to a target (5' to 10') and I'll close my eyes and visualize nothing by my form. I will do this for a few moments and then slowly let down. After a few times doing this, then I'll shoot an arrow. I'll do about a half dozen of these. At that point I'll either continue my "regular" practice, or set the bow down and do something else. This is done inside on my basement range.

Secondly, I will do a regular practice....shooting at various targets from different ranges and positions. Most of this I do outdoors whenever possible. I have a 3-D deer, and various empty plastic jugs strung from tree branches and bushes around my place. Virtually all of this is done with Judo points. When the weeds and grass start growing, I do at lot of shooting at weed heads and the like. I also like to incorporate a lot of long range stuff......40 to 80 yards. I will never shoot at game at these ranges, but if I can group at 50 yards, even if I'm low or high, then I figure that's a good indication of my form.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Can't even begin to tell you my mindset...everything happens automatically. After the shot, I know exactly what was wrong if anything, usually before the arrow hits the target.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:14 pm

most of my practice is done indoors at a short distance so i try to pick up the bow and hit a bulls on the first try and then repeat that a few times and then take a break and come back later
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:28 am

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

Can't even begin to tell you my mindset...everything happens automatically. After the shot, I know exactly what was wrong if anything, usually before the arrow hits the target.

This is a common occurrence with anyone who shoots a lot. Just the other day, I walked out of my garage with my bow to shoot a bit. I have a plastic jug hung in the front yard, about 35 yards from where I was standing. I locked in on it, drew and shot. I knew from that instant that it was a dead-on shot, and the Judo hit dead center.

90% of the time if I'm off, it's elevation, which I work at, but at least I know my form is good. It's when I'm off left/right that I get PO'ed. But as you say, I know what I did wrong too, just as soon as the arrow hits, and it ALL me.

What your describing, is an testament to ingraining your shooting mechanics into your muscle memory, a goal EVERY archer (and firearm shooter) should strive to attain.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:57 am

Yup. The worst thing to do is have to switch thoughts from AIM, AIM, AIM, AIM to AIM, AIM, SQUEEZE TRIGGER, AIM, because for that split second...You aint aiming.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:28 am

For sure. And when you shoot instinctively, it's even more critical. If I divert my "spot focus" for even a fraction of a second the shot will not be true, close maybe, but not exact.

Within the capability/range of my equipment, I should be able to hit the SPOT on the bullseye I select every time. If I don't, it's a failure of my concentration.

Byron Ferguson can shoot ASPRINS out of the air. I'll never be that good, but it does prove what focus can do when matched with solid shooting mechanics.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:52 am

My mind set is to make that first arrow count, because realistically, that`s all you`ll probably get at that buck.    

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:35 am

I lost a chance at ...well it was just a monster of a buck and it was due to ...one being surprised when he popped in to veiw a mere few yrds away, when I had drawn on a doe...I later saw him in a pic...guy a mile away shot him a week later kudos to him....and two...the worse case of buck fever ever!....which started instantly and with my breathing....
I mentioned my stashed 3-d near a stand ...it's a 20ft and I take 3 arrows shoot..retreive...shoot and so on....you can imagine what that does to my breathing...but it's good because it mimicks in part what some times can happen  especially early in the season...and I have gotten pretty good at controling it...I try never to think aim aim for I don't use sights nor a range finder...I practice enough...that those things are just there....my shoulder sorta locks into place and I have my holding arm set just right ...don't drop my arm after...do STILL have to remember on occation to not grip the bow let her float...so picturing the game I'm looking to shoot is a way to give practice a little more juice...[:)]

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 am

Thinking Aim Aim has a psychological advantage by taking your mind off of the buck and putting it on the spot you want to hit.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting