Poll: Ethical Minimum Draw Weight

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
trapperDave

RE: Poll: Ethical Minimum Draw Weight

Postby trapperDave » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:31 am

Buffalo have been taken with 30 lb bows
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 am

I think 30lbs is ethical, I killed around 3 or 4 deer with a bow set at about 32lbs. When I just started hunting at age 12 I am not sure how much more I could have reasonably pulled back.  I think low poundage is just as effective if not more effective at killing deer.  I say that because shooting low poundage, your arrow probably won't pass through, instead, as the deer runs off its leg movement pushes the arrow around slicing the organs of the deer to shreds making for a super quick kill.  I realize that effective range is minimized but if you know your effective range it is completely ethical, a 20 yard shot is very doable.  I think it is good to have a lower minimum to make it easier for young people to start hunting.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:02 am

I'm interested to see what Mrs. Patriot's numbers will be when she gets her arrows next week (fps, kinetic energy and such).
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:38 am

I just checked the Michigan DNR website, There is "no' minimum draw weight requirement to hunt whitetail in Michigan! I would really like to know just what is a reasonable weight though. My daughter (11 yrs old) very much wants to bow hunt but I'm not sure she can pull enough weight! Actually, I'm not even sure what "enough weight" is! I know, shot placement and "scary sharp" broadheads are just as (if not more) important as draw weight but, there has to be a line (as to how light is too light). As of right now the only bow I have that she can draw is a "lil sioux"by Barnett ( it pulls 10 or 15 pounds), she can pull that back all day long with no trouble at all( and shes a pretty good shot), I know its way too light to even think about hunting with!! Thing is, I dont know how much more she can pull. I have an old Bear "whitetail hunter" (compound) that pulls like 39 or 40 pounds but, she cant pull it (besides it damn near as tall as she is). I guess, worst case, she has to wait a couple more years[:(].

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:18 am

[
Diapers? Is that really necessary?
[/quote]

I tend to agree, I keep with this sight vs AT or Hunting Brotherhood because of the mutual respect represented in the posts.  To debate is one thing, to chastise or criticize unnecessarily is not needed.

Now, stop focusing on draw weight and focus on the energy transmitted.  That is the only thing that matters.  A 30lb draw weight is capable of 250fps +, my new PSE at 60lb is rated at 304fps -- all relative to the arrow weight.  E=p^2/2m, p being momentum defined as the sum of mass X velocity for all involved parties.  There are many other factors that contribute to this as well.  My point, if someone wants to argue the ethics of what draw weight should be, please related it to a meaningful term.  I voted for 30lb as it's a good starting point and allows many smaller framed hunters or children to enjoy the activity.  Shot placement is critical as well, I've seen as many bad/wounding shots with a .30-.06 as with a .243. 
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:38 pm

a 150fps arrow kills em just as quick;)
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 am

In Most States the minimium draw wieght is 40 to 45 pounds....

In PA it 45lbs, in NH it is 45 lbs and in OHIO it is 40lbs....all the places i hunt( thank god)

there is a reason for that..because smarter men then me have figured it was not ethical to use anything with a lighter wieght..

I am no math wize nor can i spell that well...but hunting with a bow less than 40-45lbs in my eyes and in most states is unethical..

Yeh it sucks that little johnny of suzy might have to wait a couple of years before they can bow hunt but mean while you are teaching them patience...and the life lesson that you can't always get what you want when you want it...

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

...because smarter men then me have figured it was not ethical to use anything with a lighter wieght..

I think you offer FAR too much credit to the government bureaucrats that set the rules.

That being said, you are welcome to your opinion.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting