Poll: Ethical Minimum Draw Weight

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JPH

RE: Poll: Ethical Minimum Draw Weight

Postby JPH » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:17 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

I bet 45 would be too high for some youngsters and potentially others lacking arm strength (some women or folks with shoulder issues).

Not really worried about those who can't pull 45 lbs back...more concerned about the integrity of the sport and the ethical taking of game...

I think where i grew up in NH this was the law...

and you have cross bows and .243's for youngsters if you choose to let them hunt before they are out of diapers

I think you have some valid points, but your tone is a bit intolerant. What if I suffer an injury and am somehow unable to draw more 40 lbs? Does that suddenly make me unethical?

Diapers? Is that really necessary?

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:35 pm

My wife shoots Mathews ignition bow set right at 40lbs and i couldnt dream of here shooting deer with that bow. Seems like it would bounce right off.

I said 50 in the poll but have no data backing that once so ever.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:52 pm

It's 35# in NYS but I think it should be 40 . No special . It's just an opinion . And ............ with the lighter weight draws , only a cut on contact should be used .
Semper Fi !

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:53 pm

There are more important factors than Kinetic Energy, A razor sharp broadhead, exacting shot placement, properly tuned bow all are required before kinetic energy is even a factor and will lower actual needed energy to propel the arrow into and through the vitals.

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:59 pm

This may be a stupid question but, I'll ask it anyway! The Genesis bow (by Mathews) claims to "store and release" the energy of a 35# recurve! Now, if a 35# recurve has enough energy to kill deer (at short range), does that mean that the Genesis is capable of the task?  As for the original question (minimum draw to kill deer) I've heard 35# will do the job!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 pm

I went with 40lbs. Like fasteddie I'm from NY and just looked it up and its a minimum of 35#. For some reason I thought it was 40-45 when growing up and all I ever wanted as a kid was to be able to pull back a (I thought 40#) bow so I could go deer hunting with one. Anyone know if they changed it?

Like stated above I think shot placement is the most important. It doesnt matter if you have an 80# pull, if you miss or hit a deer in a non vital area then you're out of luck.

But you do need the arrow to go into the animal and take out vitals as best as possible so I went with 40lbs.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:14 pm

I'd have to agree that weight is one thing, but being accurate and putting an arrow where you wnat it is another.  They do go hand-in-hand.  I think that you can ethically kill a deer with a 30lb draw weight, but you'll have to be a lot closer than someone shooting 50-70.  I guess you just have to think of the situation and be responsible and use some good old-fashioned common sense when you do this!
QDM!

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:33 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie

This may be a stupid question but, I'll ask it anyway! The Genesis bow (by Mathews) claims to "store and release" the energy of a 35# recurve! Now, if a 35# recurve has enough energy to kill deer (at short range), does that mean that the Genesis is capable of the task?  As for the original question (minimum draw to kill deer) I've heard 35# will do the job!

Yes, the Genesis will kill a deer ethically, BUT you better have properly spined arrows, razor sharp broadheads, and practice like crazy to be accurate.

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:37 pm

I'll say 30.  Up north with heavier body weights and bigger animals you may need more for penetration sakes but with a properly spined arrow and a cut on contact head & some level of skill 30 lbs is more than enough to kill a deer.  I recently bought my wife a Diamond Rascal and according to the bow tech who looked it over for me it was supposed to be the shortest,fastest, machined riser bow made in 2006....Don't know if I got that quote right but I know the little thing is best descibed as cute, quiet and fast.  set at about 28lbs its skipping a 295 grain terminator junior at 191fps with a 25 inch draw.  I've not shot a whole lot of bows period and this is the first kids/youth compund I/we have ever owned but I am impressed.  I think out to about 20 she could kill clean with it right now with the right broadhead.  Hopefully by the time she wants to hunt she'll be able to use the 40lb limbs with it so she will have a little more choice in set up.  That will be awhile though since she has this thing about ol' water moccasins and they tend to be all over the place during bow season.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 am

I think you have some valid points, but your tone is a bit intolerant. What if I suffer an injury and am somehow unable to draw more 40 lbs? Does that suddenly make me unethical?

Diapers? Is that really necessary?

Yeh i am intolerant of some things..and one would be the unethical killing of deer....

if you can't draw back 40lbs which my dad can't ..you use a crossbow ..which uses a mechanical crank ..uses about five pounds of pressure..or a gun...

or what if you can't pull back 30 lbs then you should be allowed to shoot a bow that is less than 30 lbs... at what point are we more concerned with a quick and ethical kill and less with our own gradification

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting